Chapter 2 - Donna

The Doctor  had dropped Wilfred Mott  off at the furthest  end of his road. Not wanting to  risk  incurring the wrath of Sylvia Noble, he had agreed that was probably for the best. Wilf sauntered up the rest of the road looking anxiously up at the sky as he did so. Arriving at his front door he fumbled in his pocket for his key; the door was flung open by Sylvia  ‘Dad , I thought that was you in the porch! I wasn‘t expecting you back so soon.’  ‘Well there wasn’t much to see , too much cloud cover’ Wilf hated lying to his daughter but she would go ballistic if she knew the truth , plus he didn’t want to scare her unnecessarily , he still hoped The Doctor could prevent the Daleks from returning. 

‘Oh I see. ‘ Sylvia glanced pointedly over Wilfs shoulder at the clear night sky. ‘Well come in then , I was just about to make a drink , do you want one?’

Wilf followed Sylvia into the kitchen, ‘Please , err is Donna not  joining us?

‘Donna? No dad, she’s out with a few of her friends.’  Wilf looked across at Sylvia with a start, He hadn’t allowed for this… Damn he thought ,of all the nights for her to be out. ‘Oh don’t suppose she said where; by any chance?’ 

‘Oh you know Donna, ‘uptown’ , that’s all I get off her , why?’ Wilf tried to keep the panic out of his voice ‘Oh no reason , umm what time did she say she’d be back?’

 Exasperated , Sylvia passed him his drink , ‘Dad , she’s a grown woman she can come and go as she pleases.’ 

                                           *************************** 

Donna sat  crowded round a table with her friends in the heaving pub. Normally she would enjoy nights like this, but tonight was different , she just didn’t feel like joining in much. She decided to get some fresh air. Nerys shot her a concerned look   ‘Just going outside, I wont be long’ she said in answer to her friends questioning gaze as she stood to her feet. Donna pushed her way out of the pub breathing in the  cool night air as she reached the door. She  wrapped her arms around herself as she shivered slightly,  and wished she’d thought to bring her coat.  Looking up at the sky she wondered why she seemed so drawn to her Granddads hobby of   stargazing lately  - still it gave her time with Gramps. 

Donna was interrupted in her reverie when a group of drunken  girls stumbled outside almost knocking her flying; ‘Oi watch it’  ‘Sorry love ‘ they offered a quick apology as they weaved  out into the night . One turned back to her ‘Don’t ‘spose you’ve got a light have you love?’ the girl held up her unlit cigarette in one hand, while holding a pair of  bright fushia shoes in her other. ‘No I don’t smoke, sorry; nice shoes!’ Donna smiled. 

‘Aw thanks love , had to take ‘em off though; they’re killin me now.’ The two women laughed , then she had gone; shouting after her friends to wait for her. Donna decided to call it a night and went back inside to tell Nerys and the others she was going. 

                             ******************************************** 

She walked along the almost deserted streets , the air seemed to prickle her skin , ‘Something is coming’  the thought came unbidden  into her mind. Where the hell did that come from. She thought with a start. Spooked; she sped up and was relieved to turn the corner into a better lit part  of town. There just ahead of her was the girl with the fushia shoes , ‘Aw, she must have lost her friends , bless.’  As Donna watched her, the  girl seemed transfixed  by a stone statue of some sort of angel . ‘Don’t remember you  being there before.’ she giggled , loud enough for Donna to hear. She wobbled nearer to investigate. The Angel seem to be reaching out to her , beckoning almost…she reached out an inquisitive hand and in that instant she disappeared, save for the fushia shoes that tumbled to the ground in the space where she had stood just a second earlier. 

Donna caught her breath; she stood rooted to the spot in shock , had she really just seen that happen? Had that statue really just made somebody disappear into thin air right in front of her very eyes? It was then that she realised with horror that the Weeping  Angel was now  looking straight at her.  Donna was about  to turn and run when a voice  a mans voice came urgently to her mind  ‘Donna, don’t turn your back , and whatever you do,  do not blink.’  Sensing whoever  the voice  belonged to was trying to help;  Donna did as she was bid and kept her eyes fixed on the creature, as she backed away as fast as she dared.  She risked a glance to her left to see if she could see her would be saviour,a second, but in that moment the Weeping Angel moved and now appeared under the street light, pointing towards it . Puzzled; Donna wondered what it was doing then the light flickered  and she realised  Oh God it’s switching off the light…….