Chapter Eight

That small clink of metal was the best sound I ever heard.

    Adrenaline rushed through my body, seizing every muscle and making it pulse. Rex could get us out. We could all run away, wait until we were eighteen, and then go on having a normal life.

 Of course, my dreams were cut off almost immediately. I reached out for the handle to open the door, the few inches that held me from my freedom, but Rex’s hand shot out and slapped my hand away with surprising force.

 “What are you doing?” “Opening th-” “Do you want to get us all killed?” He lowered his voice. “ Open that door and you’ll be dead in seconds. They would shoot you down without thinking twice.” I massaged my stinging hand. “How do you know?” “How do you not know, dumb ass?” 

 I wanted to scream back at him, but that would only make things worse. I closed my eyes and leaned back into the seat instead,  digging my short cut nails into my palms.  I started to cry. At first, it was just a little water in my eyes. I tried to keep the tears in, but one leaked its way out. After that, they poured out uncontrollably. I hugged my  knees to my chest and buried my head in them. 

  James put a hand on my shoulder. Some how, that made me feel worse. I should be the one comforting him. No,  he should be running around outside with a nerf gun like a kid should. I kicked the seat, trying to send my rage into something inanimate. Before Rex could turn around, the door opened.

  The seat belts automatically unfastened. I swiped at the tears running down my face, knowing that they would not stop. I scooted out of the car, and my feet hit the paved floor. 

  “ Head Down.”

 I couldn’t tell where the voice was coming from, but I followed it. James grasped onto my arm. He was crying now, most likely because I was. I flinched as something was tied around my head, covering my eyes. A blindfold. 

 I didn’t move. Not fully aware of why, but I stopped crying.  A hand grabbed me by my shoulder and pulled me.  I stumbled back, but I was caught.  

 “NO! WILL! NO!” he could barley scream through the continues flow of tears running down his face.  He kept screaming. My mind was barley processing the child’s screams, they all blurred together. 

 There was a sickening thud. The screaming stopped.

      No….theykilledthimhe’sdeadIdidn’tdoanythin- “He’s knocked out, he’s fine Maps.” A pain shot up into my arm. 

  James screams echoing in my mind were the last thing I remembered before I was knocked out.