﴾3♦Choices﴿

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." ~Confucius

-------

I sat in the tree, watching the road like I'd done every day for 7 years. But this time my mind wasn't focused on the road ahead, it was focused on the man from two days ago. I never learned his name or who he was. His faded green eyes were somewhat vibrant in my mind when I remembered our conversation in the tent. Why he let me go, without trying anything with me or hurting me like all the other ones before him, I had no idea. But I've thought about his proposition over and over again.

Today was the last day to make my decision. I groaned and hit my head on the bark of the tree. I shouldn't even be contemplating this. No one ever wins, or survives, revolting against the king. But something about the guy just seemed like he could do it, like he was born for it.

I shook away my thoughts when I heard the cry of a woman. I looked down the road and saw nothing, but the screaming only intensified. I jumped down from the tree, not bothering to climb down, ignored the shock sent through my legs and started running towards the screams.

I ran until finally coming into a clearing. A woman lay kicking and screaming on the grass with two large men on top of her both wearing the guard's uniform. They stood above her, laughing as they tore and ripped at her clothes, straddling her and pinning her arms above her head. Even from where I stood I could see the tears falling from her eyes.

I shook my head and closed my eyes, willing for the horrible memory of that night to disappear. Her shouts brought me back and I quickly ran out into the clearing. I unlodged two knives and launched them both, one landed in the back of the first man's neck. He stilled on top of her and fell to the side, dead.

The other looked up once the dagger landed in his arm, anger boiling in his eyes. He launched at me and threw a punch, but I dodged it quickly following with a dagger to his stomach. He let out an oof as he fell to the ground, clutching his stomach and gasping for air. The woman scrambled up, grasping the little bit of clothes still hanging off of her as she wailed.

I turned to look at her, the fear in her eyes bringing back more memories but I shook it away and took out another dagger. She let out another whimper in fear as I stepped closer and I flipped the dagger, pointing the hilt out to her.

"Do what you need to do to feel better." I murmured quietly as she took the knife, gesturing towards the man still choking on his blood. She nodded slowly before standing up, wobbling slightly as she walked towards the man.

"You sick son of a bitch! You bastard!" She shouted before stabbing him once more. "This is for my mother!" Stab. "For my sister!" Stab. "For my daughter!" Stab. With every sentence she stabbed him in a different place, then kept stabbing, until his eyes faded and he laid in a pool of his own blood. She fell to the ground, sobbing and clutching her clothes to her chest. I took off my hood and wrapped it around her.

"Come with me, I know who can help." And just like that, I made my decision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sound of laughing, cheering and beers clinking against each other filtered through the doors of the bar. Drunken men and sold out women filled every inch of the bar. I looked at the woman, whose name I found out was Lily, and told her to wait in the corner as hidden as possible. She nodded and I went to search through the bar.

It was already night time and I prayed he was still here. I looked around, feeling the heat of the sweaty bar overcome me, then finally saw his midnight black hair sitting at the counter. I maneuvered in and out of all the people with one direction in mind. When I finally reached him, I threw my hands on his shoulder and spun him away from his conversation. He looked at me wide eyed as he took in the blood covering my clothes and my disheveled hair.