The Never-ending Repition of Love Chapter Five

I stood there frozen to the spot. It couldn’t be. My eyes had to be playing tricks on me. Daniel, the guy from my dreams, couldn’t be standing in front of me. I watched as he walked in front of me, the dim light from the parking lot casting shadows around us. I knew my mouth was hanging open and that my eyes were wide, but there wasn’t anything I could do about it. Out of all the crazy things that had happened to me in the past couple of days, this was by far the craziest.

“Da-Daniel?” I whispered again, so quietly I don’t think he heard me.

I continued to gaze at him as he reached a large hand out towards me. I took a small, cautious step backwards. After everything that had just happened I wasn’t exactly eager to jump into the arms of the one person that I was positive hadn’t been real. For a moment I was sure I could see his eyes flash with hurt, but he was quick to blink it away.

“It’s alright, I won’t hurt you,” he said in a soothing voice. “Are you alright?” he asked. His voice was just like I had remembered it, just like I’d dreamt it. It was warm and smooth, comforting. I could see the lines of worry that crossed his face. Knowing that I probably couldn’t form a sentence at the moment I was only able to nod my head yes. I saw as he reached down and picked up my keys from the ground. His eyes looked up and met mine once again. I was captivated. Those beautiful, smoky gray eyes seemed to shine, even in the limited light. He reached his hand out towards me again, slower this time. I didn’t step away, I didn’t move at all. Instead I stood still and waited anxiously for his hand to reach out and touch me.

As his warm hand connected with my arm I felt a shock course through me. It was almost comparable to being shocked by anything else, except this didn’t hurt. It made me jump and gasp for a quick breath but it wasn’t painful. It was actually welcoming. It was almost as if my body was recognizing this touch. It felt as if this was something I had missed. Once his hand rested on my lower arm I felt my body become warm, even in the cool late October evening. There were so many feelings rushing through me that I was stunned. Looking up at him, I could see he was feeling the same things as I was. He was the first to break the silence though.

“Come on, let’s get you home,” he said. I allowed him to steer me towards my car and place me gently in the passenger seat. Looking through the windows I watched as he walked quickly ran around the car and sat in the driver’s seat. He put the key in the ignition and slowly pulled out of the school parking lot.

The car ride was quiet, other than my occasional directions of “Turn right” or “At the next light make a left” nothing else was said. Even in the awkward situation that we were in, it didn’t feel awkward. There was just something about the way it felt to be close to him, to sit beside him and not say a word that felt comfortable. In next to no time we were at my house and as soon as he parked the car he made a dash around to my side to let me out.

He walked me up the front steps and used my keys to unlock the front door. Stepping inside I found the switch to the light just inside the living room, lighting up the front of the house. I walked inside and sat down as he shut the door and looked around. I saw him walk into the kitchen and in a few moments he walked back over to me with a large glass of water.

“Here,” he said. “Drink it, you’ll feel better.”

I looked up at him slowly and his eyes were set on looking between the glass and I. Gradually I took it and drank a small sip. As I attempted to put the glass back down he stopped me.

“No drink the whole thing,” he said sternly. Heaving a small sigh I began to drink down the glass and by the end of it I was glad I had. I did feel better. He took the glass back from me and sat it on the coffee table before taking a seat beside me.