The Never-ending Repition of Love Chapter Three

The room was large yet dimly lit. Looking around I saw the place was packed and it didn’t really surprise me, it was a Saturday night after all. There seemed to be a million little round tables all covered with the same pasty yellow tablecloth. It was as if there was a sea of them in this building and I was right in the middle of them all. Looking back at my own table I noticed the small candle that they had placed in the center of my table, just like all the other ones. It didn’t do much to provide good lighting but it looked somewhat classy. Leaning back into my small seat I found that I was surprisingly comfortable. The chair was extra cushioned and if I really wanted to I’m sure I could fall asleep. Looking forward I could see the small stage. It wasn’t anything impressive, just a small platform with miniature red velvet curtains that hung down to give the impression of a fancy nightclub. A small band is on stage and at the moment they are playing some up to date numbers, which I’m thankful for that at least. Normally the bands that play here tend to play songs from ten or twenty years earlier and it drives me crazy. It’s the 1920’s not the 1900’s. Over to the far corner of the larger room there is a dance floor and I watch as the few couples that are out on it sway to the music. Sighing I didn’t understand why we didn’t just go to one of the fancier nightclubs. It wasn’t as if we couldn’t afford it or that we weren’t dressed properly. I looked down at my dress. It was long; when I stood it would reach to my ankles; unlike most of the women now a days that wanted to wear the shorter dresses to show off their legs to every guy who walked by. I, on the other hand, like to stay covered up and let the boys imagine what they wanted. The color of it was just a plain bright white, but it looked fantastic on me. It was a halter-top with an open back. It hugged tight all the way until the waist where it flowed out. Looking around at the other women in the club I didn’t see a single women who was wearing anything that was even half as good as what I was wearing. A warm hand on my bareback broke me from my trance.

Turning with a start I saw a familiar face. He was reaching over the chair that separated us. He was tall and well built. He had dark blonde hair and his eyes were the most amazing blue that I had ever seen. The small wrinkles that formed at the corners of his eyes when he smiled at me let me know that he was older. Showing me his great broad smile he said, “Sorry honey didn’t mean to scare you.”

“It’s fine daddy,” I said.

“Are you having a good time?” He asked.

I couldn’t really tell him no. I don’t know really why daddy preferred this club to the countless others that were in New York. At all the others there more celebrities and socialites to mingle with. At the other clubs the service was so much better. And at the other clubs there were more people my own age. I guess the biggest reason dad always wanted to come here was because his brother, my uncle, Joey owned the place. We got in for free and even on a night like tonight when there was hardly enough room to breathe, they made room for a table for us front and center of the stage. But it wasn’t as if daddy couldn’t get in free at any nightclub in New York, everyone knew daddy and everyone knew that what daddy wants he gets. That has a lot to do with the fact that daddy is known by everyone else as Charles Nicoletti to the New York press, the owner of Nicoletti Construction which is the most successful construction company in New York, Chucky to close friends and family, or the Don of the Nicoletti family by his ‘employees’. I knew what my dad did, even though he tried to keep me sheltered from it. But growing up it was hard to ignore the shotguns that were completely exposed on the table while dad had a poker game with his friends. Growing up it was nothing new to see dad come home with blood on him or to have people come to our house in the early hours of the morning banging on the front door because something happened with a member of the family. It was just how I grew up, I know now that it isn’t the exactly the best way to grow up but out of all the chaos that I grew up with I did learn a few very important rules to live by.