The Never-ending Repetition of Love

PROLOUGE

England 1463

“Get in there!” one of the soldiers said as they threw me into a small cell.

Stumbling forward I braced myself on the stone wall, attempting not to fall onto the cold, hard floor. Spinning quickly around I ran back towards the thick iron barred door of the cell. Hearing the soldiers slam the door closed I grabbed the bars.

“Let me out of here!” I yelled. I pulled at the door, hoping that it would budge, but I knew it was useless.

“Don’t worry,” one of the soldiers said over his shoulder as he walked away. “You won’t be there long. You have a date with the gallows tomorrow morning. Or did you already forget you stupid girl!?”

I stared after them, listening to the sound of their cruel laughter as they traveled back up the stairs that led out of the dungeon. Sighing in defeat I dropped my arms from the cell door. Looking around there wasn’t much to the cell. A light amount of straw littered the bottom of the floor, a sad excuse for something to keep me warm. A brown bucket sat in a corner filled with dirty water. The only light was coming from a torch that was lit next to the stairway that the two soldiers had just gone up. Backing away from the gate I realized how cold it was. My breathing was shallow and coming in short gasps. As my back touched the wall of the cell I wrapped my arms around myself and allowed my head to hang. I closed my eyes, attempting to hold back the tears that were burning for release. Taking in a deep breath I fought the tightness in my chest. ‘Don’t cry’ I thought to myself.

            Exhaling I slid down the wall and sat on the dirty, cold floor. Resting my head on my knees I began to think of how I ended up here. I never did anything wrong. I was always the good girl. I worked hard at the castle to help my family. I loved my job. I was a simple maid, taking care of the royal family in anyway they needed. And it was because of my job that I’d met him. Him. The reason I was in here; the reason why I was sentenced to death tomorrow morning at dawn. Shaking my head I failed in keeping the tears from escaping. I was going to die tomorrow. I had only been alive for 17 years, yet it was going to be cut short. Reaching up I wiped the tears away and willed no more to spill. Even though I was sentenced to die tomorrow I could not bring myself to regret what had happened. I knew that even in the face of death I made the right decision, and I would make it again a million times over if I could. He was worth everything, even this.

            Reaching my hand up I clutched at the most valuable possession that I owned, my great grandmother’s pearl necklace. Looking down at it I couldn’t help but to smile as I thought of when my mother gave it to me. I had only been 10 years old. It was a warm summer day and I had spent all day helping my mother make one of her delicious apple pies. It had been such a wonderful day. So as I sat next to her at the table she said, “Em dear, I have a surprise for you.”

Looking up with wide eyes I remember asking, “What is it mama?” I watched as she slipped her hand into her dulled white apron and pulled out the brilliant necklace. She placed it in my hand and I stared at it in wonder. The pearl itself was a brilliant white, as if it had only been plucked from the ocean yesterday. It was enclosed it thin gold leafing that was done in amazing detail. “For me mama?” I asked. “Yes for you my darling daughter. And just remember,” she said as she grabbed my face gently with her hands, “this carries the strength of our family. Whenever you feel like there is no way out you hold it close, and it will bring you comfort.” And with that my mother’s warm familiar smile spread across her face.

            Staring up at the ceiling I smiled silently to myself. It was hard to think that it had been so long ago that I was only a naïve child. I fought off the sleep that was attempting to take me over. I knew I should sleep. I should let it take me so that maybe I could dream of him one last time. At least I wouldn’t be up all night thinking of all the things and people that I would miss. But I knew that I’d have enough time to sleep after tomorrow morning. If I only had one more night to live I wasn’t going to spend it sleeping. Just then I heard footsteps coming down the stairwell. Holding my breath I waited for whoever it was. I prayed it wasn’t the guards again. I couldn’t deal with their wicked taunts all night long. My breath caught when a tall, hooded figure appeared at the bottom of the steps. It was a man, of that I was completely sure. Even though he was cloaked I could distinguish he was well built. His broad shoulders and chest were noticeable even beneath the thick wool material. His walk was brisk and confident as it strode towards my cell. He stopped at the black iron bars. I waited for him to speak but it seemed that he was perfectly content with staring at me.