Chapter 42

Charles climbed into his SUV and opened the passenger door for Evelyn.

"So, what's the plan now?" he said as Evelyn climbed in.

"I-I . . . don't know," she whispered. "I'm so sorry, Charles. I did everything right. Not sure why the tracking spell didn't work. I-It worked last night."

"Thank heavens it did. Who knows what would have happened if you hadn't showed up."

There was a moment of silence.

"Wait, I have an idea," Evelyn said, opening the passenger door. "I'll be back."

"Where are you going?"

"I'll be back," she said, closing the door. Then she ran into the hotel.

"Christ, this is going to be a long night," Charles yawned.

Yawned.

"Don't tell me I'm getting sleepy again already," he said to himself.

Just how long is the invigoration spell supposed to last, anyway?

His cellphone rang. The call was from his wife, Diane.

"Shit," Charles said, answering the call. "Hey, sweetie," he chirped.

"Where the hell are you?" Diane demanded.

"Working late. Thought I told you . . . h-honey."

"Again Charles? What--it's every day now?"

"Come on, Diane. You know what's going on out here. You've seen the news. Sancova needs me."

"Your son needs you!" Diane shrieked. "You forgot to pick him up from practice. Again!"

"Dammit, you're right. I'm sorry," Charles said, running his hand through his hair. "H-How is he? Did you pick him up?"

"Mary let him stay over at her place until I picked him up. You remember Mary, right? Cody's best friend's mom. Yeah, I bet you remember her."

Charles narrowed his eyes.

"Diane, what's that supposed to mean?"

"You know damn well what it means, Charles!" Diane sounded as if she were on the verge of tears. "You're still seeing her, aren't you?"

"Sweetheart--"

"Don't sweetheart me!" she barked. "Answer the damn question! You're still seeing that little slut, aren't you?"

Evelyn emerged through the front doors of the hotel and quickly approached Charles' truck.

"I'm sorry, Diane, I gotta go."

"Charles, don't you dare hang up on me!"

"I'm really sorry, sweetie. We'll talk soon. I love you."

"Charles, I swear--if you--"

He ended the call.