Chapter 87

The phone call was from Fawn.

Lainey wanted to answer it. She really did.

But she also wanted to know what was just about to happen with Benjamin.

She deserved to know.

Five minutes Fawn Lainey thought as she silenced her phone. Just give me five minutes and I'll call you right back.

She turned to Benjamin who was standing in the hallway.

But there was something different about him.

Something . . . eerie.

Lifeless.

His dark silhouette stood without a purpose, slightly hunched over and lightly swaying from side to side.

"Benjamin?" Lainey called.

And that was when she saw it. Milky white eyes staring at her.

Undead eyes.

Lainey's seen it too many times before. She knew exactly what it was. It didn't surprise her when Benjamin's smooth pale skin began to rot.

Oh my God.

"B-Benjamin?" Lainey stammered, backing into the living room.

He responded with a low growl.

Oh no! This isn't happening. This isn't happening!

"Benjamin!" she shouted.

His milky eyes were locked onto her. Staring hungrily at her.

He staggered toward her.

"Benjamin! Benjamin snap out of it! It's me, Lainey!"

She circled around the sofa toward the front door. He continued to move toward her. Faster.

"Benjamin, you told me you'd never hurt me," Lainey exclaimed urgently. She was now leaning against the front door. "Remember? You said you'd never hurt me and . . . and I believed you."

Benjamin now studied Lainey, his undead eyes looking at her as if she was vaguely familiar. He shut his eyes as he halted his advancement.

"L-Lainey, run! Run now!" he growled.

"Benjamin!" she yelled excitedly, moving toward him.

"No! Stay back! I'm dangerous."

"I trust you, Benjamin," she breathed, clasping his face. "You won't hurt me."

His eyes were still shut tight.

"Open your eyes," Lainey whispered.

"Wh-Why? Why aren't you listening to me? I'm going to kill you!"

"No you're not," Lainey said, tracing invisible lines on his face with her fingers. "I believed you when you said you wouldn't hurt me."

Benjamin roared and pressed Lainey against the front door, his hands pinning hers down above her head.

"Stay away from me! If you don't, I'm going to rip into your neck until your head falls to the floor!"

"Then do it," Lainey challenged.

Benjamin pounded the front door with his fist.

"Damn it, Lainey, I'm not playing around!"

"You're still here . . . and I'm still alive."

Benjamin growled and lunged for her neck.

Lainey shut her eyes tight.

Waiting.