Chapter 15 - On Fire

Chapter 15 – On Fire

            Sitting at the food court in the mall, Nina poked at her Panda Express. She had a bag of clothes next to her and a pad and paper in front of her. She was stumped. The school year had gone on and she had a serious case of writers block. After writing serious hard-hitting articles about the drug problem on campus, teacher’s favoritism, and cheating on the SAT, she was stumped.

            “So, shopping therapy hadn’t helped?” Ford sat down with a sandwich and started eating. Nina had been a great confidant, someone to talk to on a day to day basis and go over everything.

            “No, not at all.” Nina looked at the bag. “I did get some great jackets. Snow is coming.”

            “Don’t get me started on snow.” Ford took a bite of his sandwich. Then turned around when he felt a tap on his shoulder. The sudden casual feel shot out of the room and it might as well have been snowing because a chill filled the air. Levi looked into Ford’s face.

            “Can we talk,” Levi gulped. The jocks muscles flexed under the tight fitting long sleeve Middleton High shirt.

            “I don’t have anything to say to you.” Ford answered, “and I haven’t when you texted me, or tried to talk to me this past month.”

            “I was hurt too.” Levi said and stared Ford in the eye. Ford wanted to throw his sandwich at the boy. He wanted to start screaming.

            “Let me leave you two alone.” Nina stood up and grabbed her shopping bag and box of Chinese food then quickly took her exit. Ford wanted her to stay but it was too late to stop her.

            Levi sat down across from him.

            “You left, for Europe, and you left me with so many questions.” Levi started.

            “Well, you know, it looks like you found those answers with Mr. Lenoir” Ford rebuked.

            “Shush,” Levi leaned in and looked around, “Gavin and I-“

            “Oh Gavin? Well I guess if you are sucking him off that means you can”

            “I was hurt Ford. I really liked you.”

            “And I really liked you and I liked Mr. Lenoir, so imagine how I felt seeing the two people who I….”

            “I’m not sorry, you made your choice. You chose to leave and I’m not going to apologize for that.”

            “Then what did you want to talk to me about?”

            “I want to know that you won’t tell anyone about us. Like, your reporter friend.”

            “She just knows your gay. Your horrible secret is safe from her.” Ford crossed his arms and avoided eye contact.

            “Well… that’s not as horrible as I thought it would be,” Levi knew that a coming out story wouldn’t be allowed to be posted in the newspaper. “Thanks, I…do appreciate that.”

            “Do you have anything else to say?”  Ford snapped back, Levi just stared at him. “Then I think you should go.”

            Ford bit his lip and held back tears as he watched Levi walk away and Nina sat herself down at the table glancing at the jock. “What was that about?”