A Journey Resumed

With the king of Aquila in their midst, it didn't take long for the company to be escorted through the massive fortress to the northern most Companion. There they passed through the gateways protecting the fortress's heart and down the spiraling passageway leading to ground level. They swiftly crossed the great courtyard hewn from t'sua flesh and, after a final check with returning scouts who had just examined the river's far bank, the company left the great pillar of Aquilan strength and made hard for the river themselves.

On the shale banks of the surging river Ciramax and the members of his original company out of Aer e'Sulin were surprised to find not a single patrol waiting to build the bridge to take them over. But nearly an entire regiment of battle-hardened soldiers standing scattered in squads all along the near bank, some manning defensive trenches dug into the clay of the bank, all dressed in the distinctive forest camouflage uniforms favored by field units of the Aquilan military.

In addition to the regiment of Aquilan frontline battle troops standing at the ready, casting hard and vigilant eyes over the river at the far bank where, according to recent scouting reports, enemy soldiers had been spotted, several phalanxes of griffons were also present. Their riders garbed in flight leathers and ready to go at a moment's notice, the griffons patrolled on foot in trios in between the trenches lining the river and the semi-permanent bunkers built higher up. From where he stood watching the great beasts, Ciramax could hear their front talons grinding against the shale underfoot.

"Kadasa!" he husked to no one in particular. <<Looks like they have nearly half the Second Army here, protecting the northern perimeter.>>

<<Closer to a fifth, actually,>> Ciradaan commented lightly, his voice slightly muffled by his ranger's cowl as he stepped up beside his son.

<<Along with elements of the Third and Fifth Armies. I had General Adun reinforce na'Tolan after I received reports in Aerlorn of Lusinoran troop movements north of the Tolan der'Kith a moonday ago. In all, close to three full divisions, and the Fifth Air Wing out of Jukatha in support.>>

<<I only hope they'll be enough to blunt Fenoran's first charge!>> Ciramax turned to his father. <<Time to cross the river, patris.>>

<<I concur.>> The Aquilan king nodded. He pointed at a nearby officer.

<<Captain, if you would be so good as to build us a bridge over the river, we'll be on our way!>>

There was no fanfare as the small company passed over the magically erected bridge over the Tolan der'Kith. Yet every one of them could feel the eyes of the soldiers and riders on the south bank on them as they stepped over the sloping stone arch, carrying with them the burden of expectation that their mission would find success in every aspect. For not only did the kingdom and clan's finest warriors make up the company, but Aquila's white-haired king, the Scion of House Aeinwaje and one of Aquila's greatest monarchs, marched with them. If Ciradaan couldn't bring them what they were traveling to Elvenfast for, no elf could.

The Aquilan king grimaced at that thought as he strode towards the bridge's northern end. The greatest question that still stood unanswered was how the Var Ethisdil were going to bring the warring kingdoms together in a new alliance, somehow compensating for thousands of cycles of conflict. The secretive clerical body hadn't made that known in any fashion to any of them. Even Halen, with his intimate knowledge of the nearly lost history of the elven people and more than a vague idea of what the Norak Utterance contained, didn't know exactly how his masters intended to make the alliance happen in the ancient city of the elven High King. He could only hope they found their answer sooner rather than later.