Chapter 20: The Old World

"We shall be mighty above all others, our strength and will

Giving us our rightful place amongst our brethren

As rulers, leaders, masters and commanders.

Always at war will we be, with our natures and our enemies.

Children of the Eagle are we, Heroes to the end and beyond!"

- from Hagen's 'The Elven Declaration of Mastery'

Garth frowned as he unfurled the scroll handed to him by his aide.

"A missive from Tal Morun?" the broad shouldered major in the dark tunic of the Cliff Hammers asked as the blocky general gave the tightly written lines spidering across the creamy page a quick scan.

"Not exactly, major." Garth's frown deepened as he noted the crest on the bottom of the page, matching the wax seal that closed the scroll. It was the seal of the Chamber of Lords. Garth was aware the governing body had assumed many leadership roles while the queen mourned the loss of her husband. But he hadn't expected them to answer his request for further supplies and reinforcements.

It was now nearly two tendays since Jerald Ironstorm was laid to rest in the King's Tomb in the midst of the Church of the Sun's tomb garden. Operating on orders given before his death, Garth and his Cliff Hammers out of Tal Furan, along with elements of Tenne's Northern and Kent's Central Commands, were quickly consolidating their hold on Hernakese soil.

Hoping to extend their foothold on enemy territory, Garth had sent a message bird back to Tal Furan with a request to send to the capital, requesting further troops, a number of days ago. He had received this scroll in reply.

Re-rolling the scroll with a papery rasp, Garth dropped it onto the collapsible table he used for a field desk here, in his tent. It was quickly lost amongst the piles of maps, reports and command documents heaped high on the impromptu working surface.

"It appears, in the absence of a monarch on the throne, the Chamber has assumed temporary command of the military," he growled as he stared at the jumble of papers and maps on his desk. "Lord Horst of Tal Eskin has been named Minister of War. By his command we are to hold our position."

"Hold our position, sir?"

"Aye," Garth grunted. He turned to walk to the door of the tent, hands clasped thoughtfully behind his back.

There he paused to look over the orderly rows of tents that held his army, five complete companies of Cliff Hammers, a full regiment, well over 10,000 soldiers. Beyond them in two distinct camps were Tenne's Northern troops and Kent's Central soldiers. The entire camp was visible from the slight knoll he had his command tent erected upon. As he stood there, gazing out over the camp, smoke lazily rising from hundreds of campfires, a handful of Talemonese knights rode by, their armor belling musically as they went past.

Sensing his aide stepping up behind him, the blocky general continued his thoughts out loud for the major's benefit.

"It would seem the Chamber suspects we've overextended ourselves from Tal Furan and risk our lines being compromised by a Hernakese counterattack. Lord Horst wants us to hold long enough for reinforcements to arrive to guard our supply line before we push any further into Hernak."

"Did Lord Horst indicate how long that would be, general?" the major pressed.

"A question that you and I both would like answered, major," Garth dryly noted in reply. They had the enemy right where they wanted them: helpless and vulnerable. If they waited too long, the Hernakese could get reinforced from Kaph, to the south and the moment would be lost.

Before the major could comment in return to Garth's dry statement, a captain in the colors of the Queen's Own jogged up, a bundle of scouting reports under his arm.

"General, sir," he said with a salute as he stopped in front of the blocky general to hand him the scouting reports. "I have the latest from rangers on the eastern front."

"Ah, thank you, captain." Garth smiled thinly as he returned the salute before taking the reports. He quickly scanned over the marks on the scrolls' ends before selecting one and tossing it over to his aide.

"Shall we see what's happening with our friends, the Hernakese?" he asked and, with a smile, the major untied the cord holding the scroll closed and twisted it open. Garth felt a chill when he saw the smile fade from the major's face.

"Well, sir, it would seem this war is about to get a bit more interesting," he grimly reported, handing the scroll over to Garth. "Our scouts have spotted Hernak regulars regrouping at Burjian Dur, reinforced heavily by nearly 20,000 Kaphran troops, rangers and regulars. They've also spotted an additional 15,000 Kaphran regulars marching from their border fortress at Acesak."

Garth grimaced as his suspicions were suddenly confirmed. They were already too late.

"That pits our two regiments against three," he growled tightly, barely resisting the impulse to crumble the scouting report between his massive hands. "And with most of Kent's people engineers and logistical support, not soldiers." He grimaced. "Well, it was just a matter of time before Kaph became involved in this little tussle. With so many Talemonese troops moving through Hernak only a handful of leagues from his northern border, Gurney couldn't just sit on his hands and watch Korbin and Hernak fall into our hands."

"What news of the Warjammers to the north?" the major asked, opening up another scouting report to give it a quick scan. "Surely the Kevans have pushed south to put pressure on Korbin at Hadakin Dur, forcing the troops at Burjian Dur to withdraw towards the capital."

"So you'd think." Garth grimaced, remembering a report he read but a Watch ago. "However the Silvermane had Vledni hold the marines at Hegidorn Ridge and the Warjammers at Martinok, at the head of the Vale of Jaaril while he consolidates his gains and handles some Hernakese militia sniping at his flank. The Warjammers won't be coming south for another tenday."

"Then we face the Kaphrans alone." The major looked resigned. "And with almost three to one odds, unless we wait for Lord Horst's reinforcements."

Garth chuckled dryly as he looked over at his aide.

"Those sound like the odds we face every bloody day, major." A slight smile touched his lips. "That's business as usual for Cliff Hammers." Then he sobered. "Find Leftenant Adar, the Ranger commander. Time to set the table for the feast."

"Sir?"

Garth turned to look back out over his camp, knowing that despite their skill and experience, many of the men and women that now lived there would soon be dead. If only they had a choice.

"We march within the watch, major."

"March, sir? Where?"

The blocky general looked over his shoulder at his aide. His expression could've been carved out of stone.

"To Burjian Dur, major. We can neither afford to wait for Horst's reinforcements, or the Kaphrans to complete their reinforcing of the fortress. We go to take the fortress before they can get there." A slight smile returned to his rugged features.

"After all, it's the Cliff Hammer way!"

* * * *