Chapter 1- Another Stolen Target

~Chapter 1~ Another Stolen Target

๑۩۞۩๑ John Smith ๑۩۞۩๑

Living in New York with Jennifer on my trail for over five years now has been very irritating. First, we're both assassins. Second, we both work for different companies. Finally, our jobs are very competitive. If I don't start getting my head in the "so-called game," soon I'm going to end up getting fired or worse. Dead.

I walk into my office building saying a quick "hello" to the security guard and go up the elevator to my floor. "Your work is posted on the supercomputer," my boss, Darius said as I walked in.

I nod and make my way over to the machine that stands elegantly in front of the glass windows. I scanned my hand and pressed the red skull button. "Welcome Agent Smith. Your next target's name is Darryl Louise. Target is male, Caucasian, in his mid thirties, and is currently living alone for a business trip in a rented house at 5678 E. Drexel St. It is very important YOU kill this target. The deadline is..."

I waited as the computer calculated the time I had to kill Mr. Louise here.

"...Three weeks from now. Good luck," said my supercomputer.

"Thank you Computer," I answered, as if it would respond.

***

Two Weeks Later:

It has been two weeks now since I've been assigned to kill the target. Constantly chasing him across the world waiting to get him alone has been getting on my damn nerves. I drove crazily down the street to the Gardenia Cafe. I lower my window, and stare at what seems to look like the Darryl Louise from the picture the Computer gave me. Yep, that's him.

There he is now; eating breakfast at the restaurant he goes to every single morning between 9 and 9:15 a.m. I look at my watch and decide that he should be leaving right about now. I watch him leave the restaurant and I follow him to his house. About 30 minutes later he returns to his apartment and now it's time for me to finally make my move.

I climb up to the building across from his house and set up my equipment. I get out my binoculars, crossbow, and arrows. Why aren’t I just using my silent pistol? I ponder. Ah yes, I remember. My Boss told me specifically to try to mix up every kill so the police won’t have any leads to follow. Maybe I'll get to use my pistol next time. I quickly grab the binoculars to see what's going on at home.

"Honey, I'm going to be fine! I'm only going to be in New York for a few more days now and then I'll be back with you and the kids," the mark said so confidently, not knowing that today is the day he leaves this crazed world and moves on -hopefully- to heaven.

"All right, I'll call you before I leave. Love you too. Bye," he said.

While waiting for him to hang up his phone and walk next to the window, I load my crossbow laced with the most deadliest poison arrows, straight from the golden poison dart frogs from Brazil. If only he'd stop moving away from the window! Yes, come a little bit closer. Almost there. Yes!  I muttered quietly.  He's looking out the window at the beautiful sight of office buildings he will never see anymore. I aim at his heart. I have him targeted.

*Click*

I pull the trigger on my crossbow and watch the arrow fly through the air, almost hit a bird, crash through the glass window, and stick itself into his heart. Before I leave, I wait to make sure he has absolutely stopped breathing. I look through my binoculars and notice that his chest is no longer rising and falling.

Finally he's dead. It looks like it's time to go get my next contract. Hopefully I don't run into Jennifer again. The last thing I need is another professional assassin stealing my mark.