Part 21: Bourbon and Pink Monkeys

Why I was headed downstairs. Klaus was down there. Maybe I wanted to show him that I wasn’t afraid of him, or I was gluten for punishment? Either way I wasn’t prepared for what I saw. If I thought the bedroom was destroyed this morning, I was sorely mistaken. Tables, chairs, vases, and pieces of walls were smashed to smithereens. I couldn’t believe the extent of the damage. I know that Klaus and Xander are vampires, but my God they both act and look like nothing happened. They were physically fine; I knew it was their mental state that I had to totally worry about. Was I ever going to get use to any of this? Before I made it to the bottom of the stairs, Xander was right beside me, with the girls trailing just a few steps close behind.

All the sudden I heard Nicole gash “Xander not again, why do you both destroy everything when you get together?”

“Oh, come off of it Nicole. It’s not that bad.” Xander shot back.

“Not that bad, I’m afraid to see what bad is!” I exclaimed.

That is when Klaus popped out of nowhere, scaring the shit out of me.  

“Oh love, you haven’t seen anything yet, now has she dear brother.” Klaus butted in.

I have never been able to handle nick names. Especially coming from a confident jerk like Klaus. Before I knew what came over me, I lost it. Maybe it was the stress of the situation, but I started walking towards Klaus, feeling Xander grab my arm to hold me back, “Listen, I don’t know who the hell you are, but I have a fucking name. It’s Ava. Don’t call me, Love, Sweetie, Babe, or any other fucked up name. Did I make myself clear? I have had enough of this bull shit from the both of you.” I said turning to look at Xander as well.

I could hear Xander grinding his teeth, but Klaus’s hole body started shaking in laughter. He stood in front of me. Checking me out. It was quite unnerving.

“So little brother, this is the long awaited prophesied mate. She’s feisty one, isn’t see. I wouldn’t kick her out of my bed.”

What? I couldn’t believe this arrogant prick.

“It would be a cold day in hell, before I’d ever get between your sheets.” I spat at him.

“Well, I can see you have your hands full brother.” Stepping towards me he said in low tone, just above a whisper, “By the way, nice rack.” Then spun around and walked towards the dining room, saying to everyone, “It looks like lunch has been served.” Disappearing round the corner.

I turned to Xander, “Did you hear him, I know you heard him. What the hell?”

“Girls, get something to eat. Ava and I will be there in a moment. Please, whatever you do, don’t tempt Klaus. I think there has been enough excitement for the day. ” Xander motioned the girls to go ahead of us.

Taking my arm and spinning me towards him, I could see a hint of fear mixed with anger behind Xander’s eyes. Oh, shit. I knew I was in for it.

“Ava, are you trying to get yourself killed. Didn’t I just tell you upstairs not to provoke him, and look what you do? Don’t challenge him. You don’t understand my brother. The minute he can make something into a game, it becomes interesting. He won’t stop until he wins. He knows your my mate. The last thing I want is lose you, in any way. You know what he did to Nicole. To him that was child’s play.”

Taking a deep breath, and keeping my tone even, “Well, first off Xander, I don’t want to get into it with you on the whole mate thing, and truthfully I hate that word mate… if you can’t tell already there is a huge list of words I don’t like.  Anyway, just because you have chosen me, doesn’t mean that I’m going to fall at your feet. Yes, I haven’t missed the fact that I’m overly attracted to you, and something keeps pulling me towards you. That is beside the point. Second, you have to believe me; I have no interest in your brother. There is something about him that I don’t trust, and I plan to keep the hell away from him. I just don’t understand why the hell he is here, especially now. Third, you can’t control me either. If you continue to try, you’re just going to push me away.”