02| Cinderella

TUESDAYS, were Nathan's favorite days of the week.

They were spent like any other day of the week was: the same lessons, same teachers and talking to the same people (although their weren't many, since Nate was quite the wallflower and liked to stay in the background).

In other words, Tuesdays were nothing special; it was the day after Monday and the day before Wednesday. But what made Tuesdays so significant to Nate was that he had Track practice.

Nathan wasn't one for physical contact, which is probably why he avoided the sports that most of the boys his age seemed to gravitate towards such as soccer, basketball, football and baseball. Nate loved to run and he was good at it too. Running was one of his favorite pastimes, as he loved the feeling it gave him, and some days he wished he could just carry on running.

Calla liked to run too and happened to also be on the Track team. And just like Nate, she ran to get rid of her frustrations and on some days, Calla wished she could carry on running and never stop.

Although, Calla had quite an odd habit when she ran. She'd often tie her right shoe much looser than her left, so that by the end of practice, Calla had lost her right shoe, but she continued to run without it.

Nate had never understood why Calla refused to wear both shoes while running, but he didn't feel the need to complain because it often worked in his favor. Calla often forgot said shoe when she left and gave Nate the perfect opportunity to talk to her as he didn't do it often (being the introvert he was).

Sometimes he even believed that she left the shoe behind on purpose because she knew he would be the one who brought it back to her.

In some ways the action reminded Nate of the story line on Cinderella. Calla left her shoe behind running away and Nate just happened to be the 'prince' who picked it up and then went in search of his 'princess' to return it.

___________

"Calla!" Nate flushed as everyone on the sidewalk turned in his direction. He dropped his hurried past them, trying to catch up with Calla who was walking home a few meters ahead of him.

She had stopped walking and was waiting for him to catch up. Nate quickened his pace and as soon as he reached Calla, she continued walking before striking a conversation,

"Hey Nate, I was wondering when you'd show up," she bumped his shoulder before turning the corner on to the next street.

Nathan chuckled, "I was hoping to catch you at school but since you hightailed out of there I figured I could catch up to you on your way home since you know, we live on the same street," he trailed off unsurely.

Calla laughed, "Yeah, I try to leave that place as soon as possible, and I thought being one of the fastest people on the team you would have caught up to me sooner," she joked as they turned onto their street.

Nate blushed again and grumbled, "I wouldn't have to run after you if you tied both shoes like you should, because the whole Cinderella vibe is overrated,"

Calla gasped and put a mocking hand to her heart, "You wound me Nate, " she continued, "And besides, Cinderella will never be overrated, because it worked anyway, "

Nathan frowned, confused, "What do you mean it worked?"

She was silent as they slowed down outside her house, before she turned around to face Nate, a serious but teasing look on her face,
"I finally got my prince to pursue me,"

Calla was already closing her front door by the time Nate had processed her words, "Calla! Wait!"

She just laughed and called back, "Bye my prince see you tomorrow!" Leaving a dumbfounded Nate on the pavement questioning if he had heard her correctly.

***
Hey guys,
I know it's been a while but the chapter's here now so tell me what you think
-Austen xx

Word count 665