Dogs, Dragons, And Dangerous Strangers

The sound of Rose's ear curdling cry filled my ears. She was not yet old enough to breath fire, but that didn't stop the hot, grey clouds smoke through her nostrils. Her bright, red eyes now burned with a spark that I had not seen before and in one fluid motion she charged for the hunter. I had to act fast and as I looked over my shoulder I could just see the man fumble with another arrow before clipping it to his bow. He lifted his bow and this time aimed for her heart. I turned my heel and ran in front of the hunter.

"STOP!" I shouted squeezing my eyes shut.

I opened my eyes to see that the spark seemed to sputter from Rose's pupils and she stopped just inches from me. She let our another cry as if to say, "Why!? Why help this man, this killer!"

The hot wind caused my hair to fly off my face and hover while my body leaned back until I could just barley feel the tip of the arrow. Then all at once gravity kicked in and my hair light floated back to my shoulders and my body bobbled back in place.

I ran over to Rose and hugged her injured leg. The adrenaline rush was over now and she was starting to feel the pain. She licked the area around the arrow and I gingerly gripped the wood. She growled at me and I just glared back at her.

"Oh stop being a baby. I'm going to count to three are you ready?" She gave me a small nod and I grinned. "Three!." I said skipping the first two numbers. Rose let out a small whimper before shifting her gaze at me and growling. "I know Rose I'm sorry, but it's better this way." I suddenly turned around to see the hunter. "YOU!" I shouted. His bow was still pointing at us, but his eyes were telling a different story. His mouth was slightly a jar and his little dog sat curiously beside him; waiting patiently to see what would unfold. I seemed to finally grab his attention when I shouted at him once more. His gaze was now fixed on me, but his body didn't move.

"You... She didn't ..." The hunter seemed to be lost for words so I decided to give him a piece of my mind.

"Why are you still pointing that thing at my dragon!" I said emphasizing that Rose was mine and pointing at the bow. He put down his weapon quickly and looked at me confused.

"Your dragon?! How could you possibly have a dragon? Are you even legal to own one?" He said looking at me skeptically. I gasped and took a step back, but quickly regained my confidence and looked him dead in the eyes.

"Yes she is mine and I don't appreciate you shooting arrows at her!" I said angrily. Rose gave out a snort in agreement.

"Well how the hell was I supposed to know she was yours when there are wild dragons roaming all over this place!" He huffed before looking at me puzzled. "Wait what are you doing here anyway?"

"I'm ...I'm ..." I tried to come up with some sort of excuse, but my mind went blank. "Well that's none of your business." I said after a beat. " Thanks for trying to murder my best friend, but I'll being going now." I tried to make a sarcastic thank you, but all that seeped through my mouth was pure anger for this man. I turned toward Rose and hobbled to her side. Now the adrenalin- that had been keeping my body from collapsing and pumping me back and forth between Rose and the man-had subsided and I was forced to pent up the pain in order not to show any weakness to the stranger in front of me.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?" He said grabbing my hand. My jaw tightened before I spoke.

"I believe that is none of your business. And I would really appreciate it if you could please let go of my hand." He did as asked, but not before looking at the ring around my palm. I snatched my hand back quickly and went to soothe Rose.

"What happened to you?" He inquired genuinely concerned.

"We landed in the swamp last night. I had to pull my dragon out."