What Changed Cassie Gates? - Chapter 8 - The Reconciliation

The Reconciliation

I thought it was about time I sat down and had breakfast with my mom today. I’d managed to sneak past her a few times too many and the tension was growing between us. After all I could dress like Cassie again because I was going to Dave’s to transform into Casey from now on. However, I did have the slight problem of getting my clothes and make up over to Dave’s in the first place. But I was Casey after all, and I had a plan.

After getting dressed in some of my old clothes from the bottom of my wardrobe, a white chiffon shirt and beige chinos, I put on some make up. I couldn’t completely change back to Cassie, there was no way my mom would buy that one. Still I toned it down a lot because I didn’t want her to ground me, especially not before Ethan’s party. That was another reason to eat with my mom, I had to tell her I would be out tonight. I was getting ready at Alison’s anyway before the party so I was going to tell her I was sleeping over at her house with no mention of any party, although I’d have to explain why I was suddenly ‘friends’ with a cheerleader.

I stuffed some Casey clothes into another rucksack and ran downstairs to dump my two bags at the door. If mom asked, one bag was for the sleepover of course.

“Casssandra, you’re early this morning,” yelled mom from the kitchen. “I have breakfast ready but I suppose you don’t want it.” There was a disheartened tone in her voice, which send a pang of guilt through my body.

I took a deep breath and walked through the door to the kitchen.

“Good morning mom,” I smiled sweetly.

She looked up slowly and I saw her mouth drop slightly as she looked at me.

“It’s nice to see you again Cassandra.”

Although I was lying to my mom, it kind of felt good to please her again, even if Casey shouldn’t care about that. I did love my mom after all and I could see that she hadn’t been coping well with us drifting over the summer 

I sat down to a yummy breakfast of pancakes and berries with a genuine smile on my face. As I tucked in, I began to feel nostalgic for these days. After some normal chat I realized that time was getting on and that I had to ask about tonight.

“Erm, mom. I’ve made some new friends at school and I’ve been invited to a sleep over tonight at one of the girls’ houses.” I felt nervous because she could still say no, and I HAD to go to Ethan’s.

 “That’s brilliant! I’m so happy for you! I know how hard it’s been since Matthew left.” (Mom’s use of birth names wasn’t just reserved for me.) “Who are your new friends, sweetie?” She had a bright smile on her face and looked at me with those warm eyes, which made it hard for me to ever stay mad at her.

“Well it’s Alison Myer’s house that I’ve been invited to tonight…” The smile on her mouth dropped slightly but she still maintained it. “Alex, Marni and Jen will be there too.”

I knew she didn’t approve of the cheerleaders which is why I was worried she would say no.

“I’m glad to see you making new friends and of course you can go.” Although she agreed, I could see she wasn’t entirely happy about it.

“Thanks so much mom!” I jumped up to hug her. “I’ll go straight to Allie’s after school, okay?” My excitement of course wasn’t for the ‘sleepover’; I was going to Ethan Pritchett’s party!

“I’ve got to rush off now, I promised to help out with something early at school. I’m getting a ride from Allie’s house.” I lied.

“Okay, honey, have a great time tonight!” Mom yelled as I left the kitchen and headed for the front door. She had no idea how much of a great time I really would be having tonight. My first high-school party!

I grabbed my bags and rushed off to the house eight doors down.

I rang the doorbell and heard Dave’s footsteps come down the stairs. He opened the door only a crack so I could barely see his face and then said “Sorry, we don’t accept charity here,” as he smirked at me. However, I had wedged my foot in the door and retorted, “You’ve got it wrong, I’m the one to give charity here.” He looked grumpy for a second and then laughed and opened the door. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw next. Dave was standing in the frame of the door with nothing on but his towel wrapped around his hips. I couldn’t help my jaw dropping and didn’t even attempt to hide it.

Dave noticed my look and jokily said, “Stop gawking and let me help with your things,” as he grabbed my bags and went upstairs.

It took me a while to realize I should follow him as I was still in a daze from seeing Dave’s half-naked body, which I knew was hot, but not that hot. Were things changing between us? By the time I made it upstairs he had put on a shirt and some jeans and introduced me to the guest room, which was to be my dressing room for the next few months. 

“I made a few basic improvements,” Dave said awkwardly while scratching the back of his neck. I had seen this room a few weeks before and it only had a bed, a closet and some drawers in it. Not only had Dave painted these furnishings but also he’d hung up some fairy lights, put in two mirrors, some cushions, lamps and a rug. I couldn’t believe he had done all of this for me. It made me feel sort of special.

“Dave, it’s wonderful. Thank you so much,” I said surprisingly calmly but inside I was glowing. I would have hugged him, but for some reason a smile felt more appropriate, especially with a bed in the room.

After a moment Dave checked his watch. “Erm Casey, as much as this is a nice moment and all, it’s 8.45.”

I couldn’t be late again this week otherwise I would get a warning at school. “Well then, I better hurry and change out of these awful clothes.” I laughed while unpacking some of my stuff.

“I wouldn’t say it was awful. Actually, I kind of like you a bit more like this. You don’t look like you’re trying so hard.” I blushed a bit because it hurt a bit to hear Dave say that he thought I was ‘trying too hard’, but he was right. Now that the whole school knew who Casey was, I could afford to tone it down a bit. I chose to wear some skinny jeans today instead, but I had to keep the top low cut.

I began to unbutton my ancient chinos, when I realized Dave was still in the room. I turned my head around and saw him checking me out, unaware I was staring at him. “Erm Dave,” I began, “GET THE HELL OUT!” 

He suddenly looked shocked and realized what he had been doing. As he began to leave he awkwardly muttered “My bad, sorry Casey.”

As per usual I rushed to get dressed and barely had time to say goodbye to Dave before I hopped on my motorbike to leave for school.

I managed to make it in on time, with a minute to spear, but that didn’t change the fact that it was a typical Friday, where each period dragged on endlessly. It was made even worse by the excitement buzzing around school about Ethan’s party tonight. I felt kind of bad for the kids that weren’t invited, because I knew exactly how they felt. I used to be one of them. Hallie was one of the unpopular kids not invited, but I didn’t really feel too sorry for her because ever since I had arrived as Casey she’d been giving me disapproving looks, whispering to her new friends about me. I didn’t like that she was judging me, but I shouldn’t really care now that I was one of the most popular kids in school. Even so, all the complements weren’t enough for me to not care about Hallie’s judgmental eyes constantly staring at me.

During lunch Alex told me that Ethan had asked for my number yesterday. She wanted to know why of course. I just told her that he wanted to check I was coming to his party, that’s all, which I suppose was mostly true. 

At the end of the day we all hopped in Alex’s car to head off to Allie’s house. It was funny how today we could manage to squeeze Jen in the car even though we had more bags with all our clothes in. I couldn’t wait for tonight for more than one reason. Not only would it be my first high school party, but I would also get the chance to get back at Alex by using Allie as a pawn in my scheme.

______________________________________________________________________

Please comment below <3