What Changed Cassie Gates? - Chapter 5 - The Text

Hey,

So this is the next chapter. I hope you guys like it :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5 – The Text

The looks I got in the hallway after my big speech were different than the ones I had been getting in the morning. This time people smiled at me as I walked past and I smiled back. Even kids that I had never seen before were saying hello. Not even Alex got this treatment. I was the talk of the school. Even the principal had heard about what I did and he wanted a brief word with me in his office.

“Now Cassie –”

“It’s Casey now.” I interrupted. I didn’t want to seem too rude, so I smiled sweetly.

“Oh right.” He seemed a bit uncomfortable around me. Probably because he had known my family quite well, as he went golfing with my Dad when I was younger. “Well Casey. I just wanted to let you know that standing on tables in this school is not appropriate behavior.”

Typical. I was going to get a detention on my first day of school.

“But…” But? Maybe I wasn’t in trouble. “I was very pleased with the message that you gave to the students. It was very inspirational and hopefully it will help some students to feel more at home, here at school.”

I couldn’t believe it. Casey was like some sort of miracle child. Nobody could see me in a bad light. Even when I broke a school rule, I got praise.

“Thank you Mr. Bradley. To be honest with you, I thought that I was going to be in trouble, but I am glad that I helped to raise student morale. And I will try to do it in a more appropriate way next time.”

“Thank you Casey. Well, you had better get back to your classes.”

The rest of my classes were filled with people passing me notes and asking me to sit next to them. I felt like a celebrity or something. When the final bell rang I have to admit that I was a little relieved. The whole day had started off a disaster, but it had ended like a dream. All the attention was a bit overwhelming though because I wasn’t used to it. When I stepped outside the fresh air helped to clear my head and I reminded myself to focus and to not get so caught up in all the popularity.

I headed towards my motorbike when Ethan came over to me.

“Hey Case.” He said, while we continued walking across the parking lot. “So I heard about your performance in the cafeteria.” He smiled and pushed his hair back. My heart was pounding. I took a deep breath to steady myself.

“Yeah, I don’t remember seeing you there.”

“I was in wood shop working on a project, but I wish that I had seen it. Apparently what you said was amazing.”

I looked up at him and smiled. “It wasn’t like ‘I have a dream’ or anything.”

He laughed, which made my heart flutter. “Still I wish that I had seen it.”

“Thanks.” I said as we reached my motorbike.

“Wow. Who’s ride is that? I’ve never seen it before.” Ethan looked around to see if anyone was coming over.

“Erm, it’s mine Ethan.” I said while running my hand through my hair nervously.

He laughed because he thought I was joking, but then he turned to look at me and saw that I wasn’t. “You’re serious?”