Chapter Three - If Only Dreams Were Real

Snowflakes landed softly on my lips, making them sting with cold. I was wearing a black dress, and I felt extremely hot despite the snow. I was in a forest, with bare pine trees and a grey sky. I caught a snowflake on my tongue, but soon realized that it was not just snow, but ashes. The snow and ashes started to fall harder, and suddenly the smell of cinnamon flooded my nose. Out of the whiteness walked a figure, tall and muscular, with short, spiky black hair. I now noticed it was a boy, about 16, my age. He was wearing a black T-shirt and black pants, with some (black) Van’s. He was extremely hot, and in both ways. Where ever he walked the snow melted, showing wet pine needles underneath. I noticed that I, too, was making the snow melt around me, and I was getting hotter. He was now so close that I could touch him, and he stopped.

“I’ve missed you, Drew. Yet I haven’t even met you. I will soon, though.” His voice was smooth and made me smile. Suddenly he leaned in for a kiss. My lips met his. They were hot, and burnt me, but I didn’t care. I kissed him until all of the snow was melted, and spring had come again. He suddenly pulled back--

“Help!” That was the first thing I said. I shot up out of the scratchy covers that were too warm. I was breathing in short, jagged breaths and gasping for air. A machine that I was hooked up to started beeping, and I quickly pulled out the needle in my wrist. The machine started to go crazy, beeping and saying WARNING, UNPLUGGED. I yanked off the covers and stood up, just noticing that I was wearing a pink pastel hospital gown. I made sure the door was locked and yanked it off, changing into the one pair of fresh Wet Seal skinny jeans, grey T-shirt and a neon blue oversize hoodie.  I took a survey of the room, feeling stupid for just noticing there was a bathroom. It had ugly tile and smelled like antiseptic. I found a brush and quickly combed my bangs and hair down.

Bang! Bang! Bang! I jumped up and around, to the door the sound was coming from. I quickly opened it, to find a man in his early thirties with red hair. He reminded me of Ron from Harry Potter, but with narrower facial features. He glared at me and said,

“Young lady, what are you doing?! You should never, ever lock a person out of a hospital room. You could have been dying and then we would have had to call the police and then—“

“Dude, calm down. I just needed to change, and I didn’t notice there was a bathroom. OK? And, I’m fine. No need to be hospitalized. How long have I been here? What time is it, too?” The doctor, who’s name tag read Dr. Black, P.H.D. pushed past me and inserted a key into the machine, making it stop beeping. I followed him in and flopped onto the bed.

“Drew, I need to ask you a few questions about how you fainted.” He took out a clipboard and scribbled something onto it.

“So. How did you feel right before you fainted?”

Crap. I need to make something up.

“Well, that morning I had a headache… but I thought I could handle it and go to school. And it kept getting worse, so on my way to the nurse I…fainted. But I had just got off of the bus, so I wasn’t that far to the nurse yet.”

“OK. Describe where the headache was.”

“Ummm…kind of an all over ache, I guess. In my head, I mean. Not anywhere else.”

“This is kind of personal, but are you on your period?”

What? Uhhh, no.”

Dr. Black scribbled on his clipboard some more and then said in a hushed voice,

“Drew, there’s something else.”

I waited for him to go on.

“Well, you see…your parents, a couple minutes before you fainted…they were in a car crash.”

“WHAT?! WHERE THE F***ING HELL ARE THEY!? I need to find them NOW!” I jumped out of the bed and past Dr. Black, who grabbed my arm.

“They died, Drew. In the wreck. I’m so sorry.”

I was numb. No. There has to be a mistake, my parents, they don’t die. I wanted to yell and scream at him. MY PARENTS DO NOT DIE! I mean, they’re my…parents. They don’t die. It can’t be true. I just stood there, motionless. I didn’t even know I was crying. MY  world was spinning around. How? How could this happen?

“Oh, and one more thing. It says in their will to tell you, if you don’t already know. You were adopted.”

Holy shiz. I was adopted?! My stupid parents didn’t tell me, and now they’re gone forever. The tears came harder. I just stood there. My world was blurry with the salty tears. Dr. Black left without me noticing.

I woke up in the same hospital bed, still in my clothes. My face was dry and puffy, and I guessed my eyes were bloodshot. I felt like crying again, but stopped myself. I then had the most horrible thought: I deserved this. I had killed so many people. I think I deserve my parents…dead. I stayed there a while longer, when I noticed a clock. It was 3:00 in the afternoon. And a calendar…it had been three days! My mind was still fuzzy and not working. I think I’m in shock. My door burst open suddenly, with a squeal.

“Drew! Heyyyyyyyyyyyy! It’s me, Tiffany! Are you OK? Do you have a headache? Are you sick?  Do you need some food? Whatcha been doing? I…heard about your parents. Are you sad?”

Oh, great. Just what I need. Tiffany.”

I sighed and said,

“No, to all, except the last one. Now, get out, please.”

“Haha, Drew! You’re sooooooooo funny. You know, I’ve never been in a hospital…is it scary? You know, you’re perfect! I wish I was just like you. “Cause, you know, it’s good to have a hospital experience. But seriously, you’re so perfect.

I am not perfect. She does NOT KNOW WHO SHE IS TALKING TO. That’s it. I cracked.

Perfect? You think I’m perfect? Well, you wanna f***ing know something, Tiffany?” My voice was like ice, and Tiffany looked shocked.

“I am not even close to perfect. I f***ing kill people, THREE TIMES A WEEK! AND YOU’RE GOING TO BE NEXT IF YOU DON’T LEAVE RIGHT FLIPPING NOW!!!!”

She didn’t leave. Ohhh, she is gonna be dead.

“Ha. You don’t really…kill people, right?” She gave a nervous laugh.

“You bet your ass I do. And… I’ll prove it.”

My world started turning red, again. The tingling came, and everything turned shard. I just now noticed the walls were orange, a lame attempt at making the place seem more inviting. The tingling traveled all over my body, and everything turned red. This time I couldn’t stop it.

Kill. Dead. KILL! The girl, in front of me. Good. Approach. She’s talking…not important. Go! Strangle, be dead. Come on, hurry up, KILL!