Chapter One: Forsaken

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” MARCEL PROUST

Clara followed her target silently, hidden in the shadows.

Her hand was clasped firmly around the small knife in her pocket, ready to pull it out at a moment’s notice. She would not screw it up this time – her eyes were set on the Alpha, and she was going for the kill.

That was what she was: a killer – of sorts. A hunter, she liked to call herself. Perhaps this was only to ease the guilt of murdering people – no, not people…monsters. These werewolves, like her, were cold-blooded killers. Her own father had fallen to the jaws of these creatures, and she had sworn to take revenge for as long as she breathed.

Her current target was more challenging, but in her mind, it was all practice for when she found her father’s killer. The man she was following was the Alpha of the Maddox pack, situated in this small town in Maine. From what her friends could discern out of rumours, Wyatt Maddox was one of the youngest Alphas in the country at twenty-three years old but already had a reputation for his skill in battle.

Wyatt had taken over the pack after his father’s death little over a year ago. This succession had been unchallenged so far, despite unrest about his age and inexperience. It wouldn’t matter for long, though. Clara planned to have him dead by the end of the week.

The mission she was on tonight was strictly recon: she was to follow, watch, and find out his habits. Where did he go, who were his friends? Where might he be caught alone?

Of course, the scouting was Garrett’s idea. She didn’t care much for dillydallying – a kill was a kill, and it was best to get it done with quickly. She trusted her fellow hunter, but that didn’t mean she always agreed with him.

The perfect moment was already arising – the street they walked on was deserted and dark, a perfect opportunity.

Because they were the street’s only inhabitants, she had had to be extra careful. She’d extended the distance between them by several blocks, but found that as she got distracted, she was drifting closer. She had a strange urge to see more of him – not just his broad shoulders or the back of his dark-haired head. Idly, she wondered what his eyes would look like…

Focus! She snapped herself out of the daze, noticing her target had turned the corner into an alleyway. She hastened her stride, letting a small smile slip onto her face at the perfect opportunity Wyatt Maddox had provided her with – even if he didn’t know it yet.

She swiftly reached the shadowed opening between buildings, struggling to see through the darkness. From what little light was provided by the moon, she could tell that it was empty. With a frown, she proceeded further into the alley, pulling out her blade.

Something wasn’t right. The passage was a dead end with no doors or hiding places, but she was sure he had gone down here.

Her suspicions were proven right a few seconds later as she was shoved against the wall. Her cheek scraped the rough surface, but she managed to keep a firm grip on her knife as she was pressed forward from her shoulders by two strong hands.

“Why were you following me?” her attacker demanded with a low voice, digging his fingernails into her shoulder blades. She winced.

Without replying, Clara ducked out of his grasp and leapt to her right, out of the Alpha’s range. She drew her knife forward, unable to see him clearly through the night. A deep growl escaped from the man and he charged towards her, hands clenched into fists.