16. One Day

"Fall in love, go to Patagonia, visit the Alps, dance with the Flamenco dancers, go surfing in Rio, go shopping in Istanbul..."

What is that, I hear you asking. Is this my version of 'Around The World in 80 Days' then?

Well, if you thought this was my version of that good book, then I can tell you that you aren't too far from the truth. If you think this is a bucket list, then, BAM! You are right!

My friend Thayer and I were writing bucket lists. His was less serious than mine, seeing how he was almost always travelling somewhere. His bucketlist sounded as intoxicated as his very own liver. Seriously, I worry for him!

"Get drunk in Rio, get high in Andes, get naked in the Alps, get drunk in Pentagon, get drunk in Patagonia, get drunk in MacchuPiccu, get naked on Mt. Everest, run through the streets of Vatican naked while yelling 'the devil is here!'..."

I told you that there's something quite not right with him. Like really, there's something wrong with him. His list sounds intoxicated. Who would go to Rome and run through the streets yelling that?!

"Thayer, please be serious."

His blue eyes stared up at my brown ones before he grinned. "I just remembered something!" He eagerly grinned as his fountain pen scratched against the surface of his notebook. He tilted the book at me and I read the last one in anger.

"Have sex with Lulu underwater in New Zealand... THAYER!"

"I guess that's a 'no Thayer, that's just creepy then' yeah?" He asked.

In reply, I took his book and crossed out his last statement before putting mine there. Then I got up and walked away.

"Go to rehab in LA? Lulu! Cmon!"

I just smirked as I walked off in victory.

*♥·♡·♥*

Thayer had not always been a drunk Idiot.

Thayer Anderson had been the most handsome guy back when I was in school, and he was my best friend. Girls used to suck up to me all the time because he only dated people who were nice to me.

His family and mine had known each other since we moved from Uganda to America's San Francisco, then to Washington.

From the very first day we met, this lovely specimen of charm loved to be a ladies' man. From the very start, he had all the girls in school running after him. He was a soccer player, and dabbled in art and romance languages when he wasn't lying to helpless girls in the neighbourhood.

When we it was me and him though, all the acting stopped. Thayer was himself with me: the insanely attractive but honest guy that always stood by me. He didn't deserve to be friends with me. Clearly, he was at the top of the school's pyramid while I was just somewhere in there, waiting for the tough crowd to go.

I never hated school. I couldn't say the same for the people that walked the corridors. I was a wee, pretty thing, with my curves coming in a little too late. No one really noticed this until my senior prom. I remember Thayer zipping me up and gasping out loud to himself when he saw my reflection in the mirror.

I could say that was the day I realized I liked Thayer, but that wasn't it. I always liked one of his friends who he requested to escort me to the dance. His name was James, and he was the class president. His other friend, Wilmer, was the valedictorian of our year.

I was not exactly the best in our class, but I was the best in English Literature and I got awards for that all the time. I got featured in various newspapers for my short stories, poetry and articles that I sent into any paper that needed young writers.