Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Zayn and Niall were now what you could call fugitives. They weren’t on the run from the law—although with Zayn’s past, they probably weren’t on the best terms with the country’s governing body, either. They were attempting to escape something much, much worse. Simon would stop at nothing to make sure the two boys never saw the light of day again. They knew too much, and therefore were a liability to Simon’s shady business dealings. This was especially bad news for Niall. When coupled with the fact that Simon had, for some unknown reason, wanted him dead before he even found out about some of the inner workings of Simon’s trade, the blonde figured he was doubly fucked, and not in the way he would’ve preferred.

“Zayn, what do we do now? Where do we go?” Niall asked as he frantically shoved handfuls of clothes into the huge duffle bag he and his boyfriend were working on packing.

“Away,” Zayn said simply. “Somewhere Simon won’t be able to find us, although finding a place like that will be quite difficult considering he has spies all around the world who have probably been advised to keep their eyes out for us. To be completely honest, I don’t have a fucking clue just yet. We’ll run until we can’t run anymore. I don’t care where we end up as long as I have you by my side.”

“Um, Zayn…? That was really sweet and all, but you may want to stop being sentimental for a minute or two and instead finish grabbing your stuff. We have company,” Niall said with wide eyes, the windows beyond the slightly-parted curtains showing a small convoy of sleek black Mercedes closing in on Zayn’s home at an alarming pace.

“Fuck, Ni. Let’s go,” Zayn said before stuffing the framed photograph of him and his family in the bag before struggling to zip it closed. Niall’s smaller hands darted under Zayn’s and held the two sides of the bag together and finally the crammed bag was secured shut.

“Thanks,” Zayn huffed out. He placed his hand on the small of Niall’s back and ushered him from the room. Niall began to head to the back door, but Zayn’s hand quickly shot to his hip and squeezed in a motion for the other boy to stop.

“Not that way, they’ll have it surrounded by now,” Zayn instructed.

“But if we go out the front exit, they’ll find us right away,” Niall said, puzzled.

“Good thing we’re not going out that way, either. Follow me, babe. I’ll buy us some time.” Zayn took Niall by the hand and led him to another door on the left side of the large home, past the kitchen. Niall never really spent much time in that particular section of the house; Zayn had told him it was just a fancy sitting room and that he didn’t use it, so neither did Niall. He’d much rather spend time with Zayn in their bedroom any day.

“Jesus, Zayn! Maybe I should’ve explored a bit more. It’s quite the place you have here. It’s a shame we have to leave all of this behind,” Niall said sadly, looking around one last time.

“We’ll find a new place. Someplace better. Somewhere we can forget the past and build new memories in together,” Zayn said before swinging the heavy oak door open and shoving Niall through, but not before checking that the coast was clear.