Chapter 3

Chapter 3

[ A/N: Hiiii and welcome back babes :) I think this chapter is a little longer but I write everything on my phone so I'm really not sure...

Enough of my rambling; ENJOY! And thanks to all my new fans and those who voted/commented xox ]

Niall awoke what felt like minutes later. He had cried himself to sleep, images of his best mate's blood flowing like a river onto this cold, dusty floor clouding his mind. He shuddered just from the mere thought. Niall couldn't believe that just like that, Josh was gone forever. He would never again get to witness his witty jokes, his infectious smile, or his beautiful drumming talents.

More hot tears forced themselves from the corners of Niall's swollen eyes. He didn't want to cry; he wanted to be strong for Josh and the rest of the boys--that is, if they were even still alive.

At least Zayn had had the decency to remove the lifeless body from the room in which Josh had spent his last moments. Niall wasn't sure he could've taken it if Josh had still been sprawled cold and unmoving in a puddle of his own blood right before the blonde boy's watery eyes. It would have broken him even worse, he was sure.

So now Niall was once again alone in the dark, echoing room. He could hear footsteps shuffling around on the floor a level above his head. He had concluded a few days ago that this place he was being held captive in was the basement of a house. A quite large one, at that, considering the space just in this one room of the basement.

The heavy footfalls above him were now moving from being centralised basically right over his head and were making their way over to the area where the door must've been.

Soon, Niall found himself less lonely, but not necessarily in a good way. Zayn had decided to join him in the musty basement.

He looked... different today, Niall noted. His eyes had lost their malicious sparkle and hard darkness. Now the only thing they held was a detached, clouded-over look accented by dark bags framing them. His usually impeccable quiff was sticking in every which way. It looked like he had run his fingers through it vigorously, as if he was frustrated. His clothes were wrinkled and loose-fitting, although he had changed from the blood-soaked attire Niall had last seen him in, much the the boy's relief. All in all, Zayn looked horrible. Well, as horrible as Zayn could possibly look, that is. He looked as if he hadn't had a proper sleep in days.

Niall watched him curiously as he made his way over to the large bucket that had been discarded in the corner of the room. For once, he wasn't terrified in Zayn's presence.

Zayn dragged the white bucket over and set it down a few feet away from the captive, a shrill screeching sound following as the handle dragged across the cement floor. Zayn plopped down on the upturned bucket wearily and stared Niall down. Niall was expecting him to start hurling insults or something, but nothing came. It was so silent that Niall could hear every single creak the house's foundations made. He kept his head down and breathed as quietly as he could so as not to anger Zayn.

After a few minutes of this, Zayn got bored of seeing just the mess of brown-rooted blonde locks. He missed Niall's bright blue eyes. "Look at me," he whispered hoarsely. He hated how he sounded almost pleading, weak.

Niall obeyed. He really didn't want to meet the same fate as Josh. If he was going to die, he wanted to go with dignity.

Niall's crystal eyes met Zayn's golden ones. He was surprised at how soft and inviting they looked, nothing like the near-black and biting look they usually held. He bit his lip and cocked his head to the side slightly. Something had definitely changed with Zayn.

What had caused it though? And how long would it last?

Niall was too wrapped up in his thoughts to notice Zayn vacate the position on the bucket. His head snapped up in shock and fear when he felt icy fingers make contact with his still-tender back. Rough fingertips traced lightly over the scabbed-over wounds being stretched apart painfully because of the way Niall's arms were being trapped above his head. Zayn quickly retracted his hands and made his way to his workbench at the back of the room.