Chapter 3

The next morning I awoke to mother banging around our small house trying to tidy up before the queens warriors arrived. I threw the thin covers from my small body and shivered at the cold air in my tiny room. I undressed myself from my night clothes and dressed myself again in the carefully crafted outfit my mother made me for my birthday. The shirt was made from beautiful blue fish scales and the pants were made from warm wool my mother had bought. I also revived new boots from my father that he made from the hide of a deer, he added beautiful designs in the same blue scales that matched my shirt. Mother came into my room to see my new outfit. It fit me perfectly. She reached over to pat my shoulder and as she did she said "Azla, my daughter; you look even more breathtaking then the stars in the night sky" "Thank you" I replied "And many thanks for this clothing as well, you could have made a fine seamstress you know." Mother struggled to put a smile on her face. She had been thinking of her daughters grim future.

     After a breakfast of eggs and bread there came a loud knock at the door. My body froze. Mortified, Mother sent all the plates she had been carrying clattering to the ground. Father stole one last glance at me and squeezed my hand. Then he hurried to the basement where a man was supposed to stay in the presence of the Empress' warriors. While mother hurried to clean up the mess of plates she dropped I rose to open the door. Slowly I opened it and four women came into view. They greeted Me with a smile and in  return i bowed politely.

   "Good morning fine warriors, can I invite you in?" i whispered after a pause "Yes, thank you" The leader said. When all four six women were settled around our small wodden table there was a long silence before Mother finally spoke. "Can I offer you a beverage of sortrs or some warm food before your journey?" She said quietly "yes" said the leader, "our journey is a intensely long, cold and wet one, we need every single warm meal we can find."

   With that mother began fixing our best food for lunch. She made venison and mashed potatoes with our last Clove of garlic. While mother cooked I studied the warriors. They must have been in their late 20s. Each warrior had a round bun atop her head and long earrings made of fish bones.

   "My name is Yeeva" the leader said "and these are my followers, you and one other girl will also follow me for now. I have chosen These three to help me to train and recruit young women for their great quest." "My name is Zuzana" a blond warrior said "this is Kiri and Kireene" she pointed at two dark skinned warriors who must have been sisters or close relatives. As each name was said the warrior waved at me. Kireene quietly asked what my name was "Azla" I replied. "What a magical name!" Kireene said excitedly, "I have an interest in names" she explained. "I find them unique and very beautiful. I record each name that I hear in a book my mother gave me" from that moment on I adored Kireene. Kiri, Yeeva and Zuzana were nice but Kireene had an odd sense of calming to her.

I threw my arms around Mother's petite form and stiffling tears I whispered "I love you" in her ear for what I assumed would be the final time, I prayed I was wrong. I said a silant goodbye to my small home. Then without missing a beat, I turned to follow the Empress' warriors out and into a dark new world of pain and hardship.