Chapter 2

In the late afternoon father returned from his hunting trip with four small fish and a large chunk of bread. He had traded his fifth fish for the bread at a very kind widows house a few miles from here. The kind widow excepted men just as mother and I do. The elderly widow was happy to trade with anyone she could as her frail body could no longer hunt for meat.

Father grunted a greeting to us. That was all he could do; women cut the tongues of men shortly after birth after strict orders of our empress. The empress was sure that men had nothing of importance to say anyway. The unusual feast he brought was in celebration of my sixteenth birthday. Most children were sickly and passed on before reaching the young age of 12. Meaning that any child reaching the age of sixteen was strong enough to face the rage of mother earth.

Not long after my third birthday every soul was called to the city of Sinopa for an urgent announcement. Even the MEN were called to the city, who have never before been allowed to step foot inside the great walled city. Nervously all gathered in the square of Sinopa and the Empress began her speech.

"Now is our time to rise." She said confidently, "our people have suffered the wrath of Mother Earth for too long, any female who is between the ages of sixteen and eighteen must leave immediately for training. Starting in one month from now my warriors will collect all females from their homes shortly after their sixteenth birthday." With that the Empress turned and exited the square leaving everyone in utter pandemonium.

"No!" some had wailed.

Others were collapsed and crying for their children. But most, including Mother, stood wide eyed and stared in horror at the spot where the Empress had given her orders. While all the girls in the age requirement lined up to depart for their training, three year old me looked at my Mothers face twisted in horror as realization hit her. At the time i had not understood the Empress' words, but deep down i had a feeling that something was terribly wrong. When I was old enough Mother explained to me what the Empress said. My face mirrored the way Mother's face had twisted so many years ago.

Now that I have reached the age of 16 the Empress' warriors would come for me in a matter of days. My birthday was a bittersweet time for our family. Mother was proud of my strength; father was amazed by my skills. They hoped I would be the one to finally overthrow Mother Earth. But they knew that no soul had ever returned from the deadly quest.

"I love you my daughter, I hope you might return one day to us." Mother said late one night.

While she talked I was struggling to fight back tears. I knew my time had come, but I feared what would become of me. Mother Earth was our entire universe and to overthrow such a powerful force one must need to be stronger and wiser than I. Mother looked at me while I thought.

"I love you also, and I will try my absolute hardest to return one day to you" I said quickly. "I know you will my child." She said as she closed the door to my room.

Tomorrow is the day the Empress'

warriors are coming for me. I wish to flee, but I know that my people need me now more than ever.