Chapter 7

Sasuke pulled into the driveway of his house. I was nervous about talking to his mother.

"Don't worry. Everything's going to be fine." Sasuke placed his hand on top of mine to reassure me. I blushed at his touch.

"Can I ask you something?" I was too nervous to look at him.

"What?"

"Why... Why are you trying to help me?" He removed his hand from mine.

"I can't just turn my back to what's happening to you."

"Why not? You ignore everyone but me. I just don't see why."

"You're different. You're like a stray dog that you just want to feed and take home." A stray...? I wasn't quite sure if I should like that or not. I heard him unlatch his belt. "Don't write yourself off. You're worth helping." No one else ever thought so... "We shouldn't keep them waiting." I nodded my head and got out of the car, following Sasuke into the house. Mikoto and Fugaku were sitting at the dining room table. I took a seat across from them. I was hoping Sasuke would stay but his mother made him leave.

"What happened? Are you ok?" Mikoto asks, noticing my bandaged wrists.

"I'm fine. It was just... an accident in class. I fell." Mikoto gave me a skeptical look.

"Naomi, does your father know what your mother is doing to you?" I shook my head.

"I've never met my father. He left my mother shortly before I was born..." Mikoto gave me a sad look.

"Do you have any relatives that you can stay with?"

"No. None that I know of anyways... Besides, my mother would never let that happen. My father sends her child support and she'd never let that money go..." I looked down at the table. Mikoto started whispering to Fugaku. I just sat there silent.

"Naomi, we can't just let you live with her, knowing what's going on. That's why I wanted to ask you if you'd like to stay with us." I looked up to her shocked. She smiled.

"I-I... She would never let me."

"Has Sasuke told you what we do for a living?" Fugaku speaks up. I shook my head. "We own our own law firm. So it doesn't matter if she won't let you, we'll go to court to strip her of her parenting rights. Mikoto and I don't mind becoming your legal guardians until you're eighteen." I didn't know what to say. I just continued to stare at them shocked. "We have more than enough evidence to convince a jury. I'll have our eldest son, Itachi, watch over you during the process as your lawyer."

"How does that sound, Naomi?" She smiled. I felt tears starting to form in my eyes.

"B-But why...?" Tears started rolling down my face.

"No one should ever be treated like this. I'm just sad we couldn't have helped you sooner... You've spent your whole life in pain..." Mikoto looked like she was going to start crying.

"Plus, our son has seemed to take a liking to you. He'd be upset with us if we didn't help." Fugaku states. I blushed.

"T-Thank you... so much." Mikoto smiled sweetly at me.

"I'll have Sasuke take you to get your stuff." I nodded my head as she called for him. "If you run into any problems with your mother please don't hesitate to call us. Other than that, just let her know she'll have her day in court." Sasuke entered the room. "Sasuke I want you to take Naomi home to get her things. She'll be staying with us from now on." Mikoto smiled. Sasuke nodded his head and I followed him back out to his car.

"See, I told you everything would be fine." Sasuke says as we got into his car.

"...I don't want to burden you..."