Chapter Thirty Three

Clara was lost for words and so was Draco as they continued to walk along, he still continued to hold her hand. On the outside, Clara's face was blank but internally her entire body was screaming and her brain was running around frantic while her heart continued to faint over and over. Thoughts of happiness, and then thoughts of doubt crossed her mind as she wasn't sure once again if Draco was just being nice to her or if there was something more.

"S-so do you want to head into any of the shops?" he asked.

She turned to him and nodded unable to bring herself to speak for the time being. She pointed in the direction of Honeydukes, knowing that while Abby certainly didn't need sugar, she would surely appreciate it as a gift. Since Abby hadn't experience much of wizard candy, Clara was hoping to make the girl a good variety goodie bag. 

"Don't you think Abby and sugar is going to be...a bad idea?" Draco suddenly asked her as they walked around.

Clara couldn't help but laugh. "Probably, but don't worry, she doesn't share a dorm room with you." she said. "I'll be the one dealing with the sugar highs, and when she crashes on my bed. I swear she sleeps in my bed more than she does in hers. It kills my back most nights."

"Abby seems to be really attached to you." Draco said.

"Well, she's also pretty attached to you too. I can't blame her though, her home life is a bit of a wreck. She told me the other night since her parents divorced that she doesn't see her father that much, if ever, and her mother is pretty much out with a new boyfriend every night. It's hard to believe that such a happy little girl comes from a dysfunctional home."

'She certainly knows how to brave a smile, doesn't she?'

"I don't think her smile is put on though," Clara said. "I think she really is happy a lot of the time. She's just an extremely happy child. It's what I admire about her most. To wake up in the morning and be happy no matter what happened the night before. She has the attitude that the next day is always a new day and there is no sense in dwelling on the past. I'm still trying to do that myself."

"I think you're doing a great job if that's what you're striving for." he said.

"Well, I-" she went to respond when her ears picked up whispering taking place behind them. She turned her head slightly to see some fellow Hogwarts students watching the interaction between her and Draco. She swallowed nervously as she saw one of her former friends point to the fact that her hand was still linked with Draco's.

Draco could feel the sudden onset of Clara's body shaking, causing him to worry about what was happening. He followed Clara's eyes to see her watching some fellow students that were staring them down, whispering among themselves. He couldn't hear what they were saying, but judging by Clara's expression, it seemed she could.

"Just ignore them Clara.." he knew ignoring them wasn't going to do anything but he didn't want Clara to be upset every time they were in Hogsmeade together. It was beginning to look like a sign. He squeezed her hand slightly trying to distract her but Clara didn't move, didn't acknowledge him, nor did she look away from the other students.

He recognized one of the girls as one of the girl's that Clara had hung out with before the war took place. A look of disgust swept across her face as she looked from him to Clara. He went to pull her along when he felt Clara's grip tighten around his hand, and he was quick to acknowledge that Clara's grip was incredibly strong.

No longer was she shaking from nerves, but out of anger.

Draco was about to witness Clara snap for the first time.

He didn't expect her to let go of his hand.

He didn't expect her to walk over to where the girl was.

He certainly didn't expect the two exchange words, heated words.

But he really didn't expect Clara to attack the girl.

He ran over as Clara just struck the girl across the face, hard enough that the girl crumbled to the ground like a piece of paper.

The girl on the ground was holding the side of her face as she looked up at Clara terrified, but before Clara could continue, Draco grabbed the girl and dragged her out of the candy shop before they found themselves in trouble. She squirmed in his arms for a bit before she finally settled down. He had brought her a safe distance from the shop, sitting her down on the stonewall allowing her to collect herself.

"What was that about?" he asked her looking back in the other direction before looking at her.

He could see the tears streaming down her face.

"You didn't hear what she said?" Clara asked him with a sniff. "The terrible things that came from her mouth?"

"No, I didn't Clara but-"

"She used to be one of my best friends." Clara said. "But just because of these scars, she seems me as less than a human being and I don't understand. I haven't changed...at least I don't think I've changed much as a person, but it seems the people around me have changed."

"Clara, it's okay-"

"It's not okay!" she snapped. "They shouldn't be allowed to say those things, they shouldn't be allowed to judge people."

Draco wasn't sure where the new found rage was coming from when it came to the usual soft-spoken Hufflepuff and while he wasn't going to admit it out loud, he actually did enjoy that side to Clara. He smiled to himself but Clara caught him quickly.

"Why are you smiling? They didn't say anything nice about you either-" she began but he cut her off.

"Because I think you got some justice by knocking her in the face." he said with a small smile. He knew what if felt like to be on the receiving end of a powerful hit after insulting one, and he hoped it hurt Clara's former friend as much as it had hurt him years ago. Because it sounded like whatever the girl had said, she had deserved a nice hit to the face.

He heard Clara sniff again as she hid herself behind her hair once more. He stood before her as she continued sitting on the stone wall. He leaned forward and reached a hand out to push her hair back out of her face.

"What are you doing?" she whispered to him.

"I want to see your face.." he told her.

"Draco you don't have to do that to make me feel  better-"

"I'm not.." He brought her to look up at him, but her eyes refused to meet his. "Clara.."

She pressed her lips together as they began to tremble, she could feel his hand graze over the area of her scarring, making her flinch.

"Come on, Clara, look at me."

She closed her eyes for a few seconds as she tried to compose herself, when she opened them, she brought herself to look up at Draco. Much like when he had been holding her hand earlier, Clara could feel her body going haywire as he continued to hold the sides of her face gently.

"Drac-"