Chapter Twelve

Draco flinched as a hand grabbed his in the library, he instantly ripped it away and went to turn on the person who thought it was so funny to touch him. But as he turned around, he saw the first year Hufflepuff that was normally at Clara's side.  She gave him a weird look due to his sudden actions but quickly brushed it off.

"Hi, I'm Abby!" she introduced herself to him.

Draco glanced around as the library fell completely silent, all eyes were on him, waiting for him to react. After all, she was a muggle-born in the great presence of a Malfoy. She stared up at him until he responded.

'Hello." he replied awkwardly wanting her to avert her gaze elsewhere.

"You can come sit with Clara and I, at our table." she told him. " Considering all the other people in here are being a bunch of jerks."

"I don't think that's a good idea." he told her, especially since Clara's name was mentioned. He was certain, she hated him as much as the others in the library.

"Nonsense."  Abby said. "She insisted."

"She did?"

"Of course. Now come on." she grabbed a hold of his sleeve this time and directed him towards the table.

Clara looked up and saw that Abby had actually convinced Draco to come sit with them. It appeared she wasn't the only one in shock as whispers erupted in the library until Madam Pince shushed at them.

Draco sat down after Abby released him and looked directly at her. She turned her eyes back to her book to continue her work. With no one offering up any conversation, Draco opened up his own book and got down to his own work.

She wanted to speak up and apologize to him but she didn't think the time was appropriate, nor did she want to be the next victim of Madam Pince's shushing.

She rested the scarred side of her face in the palm of her hand as she worked, however, throughout her time working she continued to steal glances at the boy sitting near her.

Draco seemed to be content working in their company, even though he was being watched not only by Clara but by Abby. The difference with Abby was, she didn't tried to hide the fact that she was watching him, she made it obvious and known.

When Draco looked up after feeling the stares, he caught Abby first.

"Can I help you?" he asked simply, there was no harshness to his voice, but he did seem concerned with the younger girl's staring.

"Why do you look so sad?" Abby asked him in return.

Clara's eyes widened at Abby's forwardness, of course, she should have expected it, but it still had caught her off guard. And apparently, it had caught Draco off guard as well.

"I'm not sad." he answered her.

"Yes you are." Abby argued with him. "You can see it on your face and in your eyes. You frown a lot. Happy people don't frown, and you don't look angry, which means you're sad. "

"Abby that's enough." Clara whispered to her, she could see Draco growing incredibly uncomfortable as he sat with them. She turned to him as Abby fell quiet with a shrug.

"I'm sorry." she told Draco. "Sometimes Abby lacks a filter...she means well though."

"Of course I mean well. I wasn't trying to hurt his feelings!" Abby said.

"It's okay." Draco said in a hush tone as Madam Pince glanced over in their direction. "It's not a big deal, let's just pretend it didn't happen okay?"

The girls fell silent for a moment.

"Okay." Abby said. "So if I can't ask why you're sad, can I ask about your scars?"

Clara didn't understand what Abby meant by the scars but then it clicked in her head, bringing her eyes to look down at Draco's left forearm. Of course, she caught sight of the Dark Mark, or what used to be the Dark Mark on his arm. When it wasn't activated, the Dark Mark appeared as a red scar etched into the skin. However, currently, his arm was covered in scars, all over them directly over the Dark Mark as if he had tried to cut it away multiple times.

She watched as he quickly covered up his arm with the sleeve of his robe and began to gather his things to leave.

"Wait, was I not supposed to ask about that either?" Abby looked to Clara. Clara didn't answer though as she watched Draco collect his belongings and walk out of the library.

She stood up prepared to go after him and apologize for Abby's questioning, but thought against. If he was upset there was no knowing what he would say to her.

"Abby," she sighed, " you really have to be mindful of what you blurt out."

"I'm sorry, Clara. I just figured since I asked you and you answered that it wouldn't be a problem to ask him about his scars."

Clara looked down at the table.

"I think his scars run a lot deeper than mine, Abby."