Chapter 3: Velvety Ideas & Wandering Hands

I'm back!! A bit late, I know. Don't shoot me!!!

Just please read the chapter and let me know what you think!! And if you like it, please let me know my voting and commenting. I would absolute love you for it.

And you know, votes are better than Skittles :)

"So what do you guys think of The Great Gatsby?" Tony said happily, his eyes sparkling with enthusiasm. "It offers endless possibilities."

Everyone turned their head to Katharina, waiting for her reaction. I mentally rolled my eyes. It was still beyond belief how everyone acted like their life depended on that girl. She must have some serious power.

She gave a soft sound of disapproval, not even looking at Tony or anyone else. She dramatically waited a few seconds, before she opened her mouth. "Does anyone have an idea that's original?"

Her tone was friendly, but she still managed to show her disdain at Tony's thoughts. I had to admit, it was quite impressive. Her non-verbal communication was definitely on point.

Noëlle raised her hand tentatively, looking shyly through her eyelashes at Katharina, whom gave her a short nod.

"Maybe we could try something with two extremes? Angels vs. Demons or Glitters and Gore?" her voice trembled slightly, but her eyes held a flicker of hope. Hope that Katharina liked her idea.

Katharina just shot Noëlle her mona-lisa smile. "Thank you, Noëlle. But no."

I shook my head discretely, wondering how the hell I ended up having lunch with this pathetic group. There were eight of them in total, excluding myself. The only ones I had talked to were Tony, Katharina, Noëlle and Alex. There were three other girls and one other boy sitting at the table. They were quiet, just looking at the interaction at the table.

I chanced a sideward glance at Alex, observing him. He hadn't said anything either, but his facial expression told enough: he didn't like Katharina bossing everyone around. He looked at me and shot me a lopsided smile, which I returned with a grin of my own.

Of course, Katharina noticed our exchange and she focused her attention on me. "Nina, do you have an idea?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I really don't care."

"Come one," she answered, venom seeping discretely in her voice. "Everyone is putting an effort. You should help us. We could use ideas from a fresh mind."

I bit back a nasty retort and instead voiced a question that had been playing in my head. "Why are you even concerning yourself with the prom theme?"

"Katharina always comes up with the teen," one of the girl's I didn't know spoke up. She had strawberry blonde hair that was woven in a neat braid. "It's a tradition."

I hummed in response, not bothering to ask or answer anything. I would never understand these people.

"So, do you have anything to contribute?" Katharina asked, a slight hint of amusement in her voice. It was obvious she wanted to show who was boss by turning down my idea. From the corner of my eye, I saw Noëlle sending me a pleading look. I sighed and decided to not make this any worse for her. I Katharina's eyes, I was a reflection of Noëlle after all.

"Red velvet?" I said, when looking at the cupcake in front of me. I wanted to slap myself immediately after the words tumbled out of my mouth.

Red velvet? Really, Nina. Why does everything always have to do with food?

While I was mentally chastising myself, I saw Noëlle cast her eyes down. Katharina opened her mouth, obviously ready to turn down my theme. In this case, I couldn't blame her. I would've burnt my own idea to ashes too.