Chapter 2

''Breathe in... Breathe out...'' was all I could concentrate on. Within seconds I lost my breath by a spasm which coursed through my muscles. I could feel the warm tears fall to my cheeks. I had never felt such pain before. The usual experiments they used at me only hurt a couple of hours afterwards. It had been weeks since they injected something into me, something very strong.

I heard the door open and close coupled with footsteps afterwards. I tried to move further behind the leather sofa but collapsed to the floor because my muscles would not allow it. I sobbed quietly against the floor wishing for it to end.

''Ivy?'' I heard my father call into the darkness of the room. I started to crawl further until I touched the wall. I tried to sit up as slowly as I could but another convulsion streamed through my skin. I fell to wall as I whimpered in anguish. My entire body twitched which disrupted the lamp's lightening in the room.

''Ivy... there you are honey'', I heard my fathers soft voice say and crouched next to me. I could not dare to look into his eyes. His cold blue eyes who always looked at me with amusement or like a possession. I tried to clear my wet cheeks of tears quick before he saw them. He always despised every time when I cried or showed some sign of weakness.

''Honey... Why are you hiding back here?'' he asked as he tried to take my hand but I shifted away just when another spasm coursed through my muscles which made the lamps continue changing lightening.

''Don't touch me... it hurts'', I whispered when I looked upon my fathers azure eyes. Those cold eyes did not look back at me with sympathy but with curiosity. I felt how my bottom lip started to tremble so I bit it to prevent it. I tried to inhale slowly but lost my breath in the process.

''Why does it hurt? ... You promised it wouldn't hurt'', I asked and swallowed carefully as I started to hyperventilate in agony. My father responded my a small smile as he looked into my glossy eyes.

''I'm sorry flower... Just a few more times, I promise'', he replied and tucked some strands of blonde hair behind my ears. He jumped out of surprise by the sudden spark that bolted to his finger. He looked at me with wide eyes as he smiled at me, avoiding my gaze.

''No, I don't want to... why are you doing this to me daddy?'' I whispered and looked down at my wrists who were covered in dark bruises by the injections. I could see my fingers shake lightly as small sparks bolted from them. I looked down at my fingers in shock. ''What did they do to me?'' I wondered.

''Don't you see honey? We are doing this because you are special, you are the key of the human evolution. With you we can change the world!'' my father exclaimed ecstatic when he saw the living proof of my new abilities. He smiled wide and looked at me with such pride that made me feel special.

I opened my eyes and saw the glass buildings from the unpolished plastic window. I sat up straight in the stiff cushioned seat to stretch my muscles. It had been a long drive from Georgia, my old home. It was strange to move again, especially after such a short notice but I did not have much choice. I was not even sure if Mohinder would help me or not, I had no backup plan to begin with and within days Katy's face would be plastered on the front page of every newspaper along with my ''missing'' report.

I sighed and watched the skyscrapers pass from the streets as the bus passed at a slow velocity. I was now entering the city that never sleeps and somehow it was very familiar. I felt cramped in my seat by the tall skyscrapers blocking the sunlight.

I was back to the place I dreaded, the headquarters of the Primatech company that I have been fleeing my entire life. I was falling deeper and deeper down the rabbit-hole. There will be agents all over the streets watching and I had to be careful, more than ever.