Chapter 3

I walked beside Mohinder towards his apartment. We just had a wonderful dinner, we kept our conversations light and fun. Avoiding the topics about our families and the fact that Sylar had killed Chandra. It was only a theory so far and Mohinder did not seem like he had a clue about it at all. I wondered how much I had to invest in this friendship before we could go through his father's research.

I really needed the information about Sylar so I could stop him once and for all. Every day I spent in this city made me more and more paranoid. I barely could enjoy a meal with Mohinder without constantly worrying who might see us. Who might recognize me, it all made me on edge and I could tell Mohinder noticed.

''That was fun.. I never knew you were so bad at eating with chopsticks'', he said and laughed. I rolled my eyes and a small smile crept to my lips.

It was true, I had never eaten with chopsticks before and I felt so embarrassed trying to.

''Ha..ha.. very funny'', I commented in a sour tone. Mohinder started chuckling even more, not containing his laughter. He was teasing me and I knew it which made my cheeks blush even more.

He started pushing me to the side by his body and I started doing the same until we got caught in a full out war of tag. I ran and avoided all his attempts on catching me, mocking him in the process. When we both reached the door our laughters became silent.

The door was unlocked. Our grins had vanished and we both stared at each other with cold eyes. His dark brown eyes stared into mine while I nodded, agreeing with entering the apartment. Mohinder slowly touched the doorknob, carefully sliding it around until the door opened.

He tried to sneak in as quiet as possible but the wooden floors and the door itself did not approve. As we walked in we saw a heavy man on the floor, installing something under the desk near his laptop. He noticed our presence and started panicking, crawling out from the desk and quickly rising from the floor.

''Who are you?'' Mohinder asked holding up an elephant sculpture from the table, using it as a weapon.

''Wow...wow, easy'', he said calm holding his hands up, surrendering. He was tall but large with a dark blue exterminator costume. He was clearly posing as one due to the fact I could see a gun under his thin layer of clothing and he was monitoring cables in the circuit. In his red equipment box were several bugs, used to record conversations.

''Tell us... now!'' I hissed through my teeth as I walked towards him with a knife in my hand. I held it inches from his throat. His eyes was large and I could hear him breathing faster.

''The house lord let me in... we are doing the whole building today... please, I promise'', he begged and exchanged glances between me and Mohinder as if he was there to help.

''I will only ask you one more time... who are you?'' I said slow gritting my teeth. I held my knife closer to his skin. He looked helpless as he stared at me with wide eyes as if he could not believe me.

''Irene, stop!'' Mohinder said behind me but I neither moved or broke our intense stare. I could feel Mohinder anxiously switch his weight from foot to foot, trying to come up with a plan. As my eyes glanced between his gun holster and his eyes, he realized. He realized I knew.

Before I could stop him he pushed me backwards, making me fall into Mohinder's arms. He quickly grabbed his equipment box and sprinted out from the room. I had a clear shot and threw my knife towards him but unfortunately it landed on the door. Making a loud clash sound.

Mohinder and I dashed out of the apartment to catch up with him but he had to much of a head start. He pushed a petite girl out of the way, making her fall head first to the floor. She groaned and Mohinder quickly ran to her making sure if she was alright.