Chapter #1| Friends

J A X

Mary is seriously going to kill me for being late, I searched my room trying to find my damn car keys. I swear I left it inside my bedside table draw, I mentally cursed for not remembering where I put those stupid keys. I checked the time, my eyes widen seeing how late I am going to be, I'm already five minutes late. I promised the children to read them a story when they arrive, at the centre we have a schedule for activities and by the time I arrive I won't be able to read them the new children's book I bought yesterday.

"I guess you haven't found your keys" said Angel. I glared at her, she giggled drink her coffee while watching me trash my room.

"Instead of standing there, how about you help me find my stupid keys" I said. I sighed in relief as her boyfriend Brandon gave me my keys.

"You're a lifesaver, where was it?" I asked

"It was in the kitchen" he replied. I thanked him grabbing my bag and dashed to my car, I drove over the speed limit and surprised the cops didn't pull me over. It's expected since where I live and work is in a good neighbourhood, it's rare to see cops patrol. Parking my car, I walk to the entrance of the centre, typing in the code and went into room two.

"You're lucky, Susan isn't in today" said Mary. I smiled watching the children play with the toys, I felt guilty that I didn't read the new book I bought, they all love Pepper Pig. Putting my bag away, I sit with the toddlers helping them build a racing track with wooden blocks.

"So, how was the date with Ryan?" asked Mary. I promised myself to forget that horrible blind date, Mary is a good friend of mine and somehow manages to convince to go on blind date.

"Horrible like the rest of them" I replied. She sighed.

"Come on, I'm sure he wasn't that that" she says. I looked at her like she's crazy, it was horrible nothing more. I placed the rectangle block on top of a square one, Aaron didn't like the placing of the blocks as he knocked it down and being to rebuild it.

"I question your taste of men Mary, all of them are just in love with themselves. I am not going to lie they're handsome but when they open their mouths I just wished they wouldn't speak" I replied

"Just want you to be happy" she says. I smiled.

"I am happy and I like being single, I have more freedom and just not ready to be in another serious relationship. After dating Nathanial, I have my own doubts and insecurities, how can you trust anyone after being cheated on" I said

"I understand, I'll stop convincing you to go on those dates. Just hoping you might find the one, he's out there you know" Mary replied. I rolled my eyes, the one is out there I'm just not looking for him and I'm sure he isn't looking for me. It's hard to find a decent man let along one who is gay, after confessing to my father about my sexuality he didn't take it to well. Our relationship wasn't good from the beginning but after giving him time he accepted it.

"Alright lets go outside" I said to the children. They all squealed in happiness, Mary put their hats on while I put sunscreen on them. Opening the glass sliding door they all ran to the sandpit, I walk into the storage room grabbing paper and paint for them to do their outside activity.

***

"Happy birthday Jax!" said Angel. 

"Quick open your present" said Mary. I wasn't expecting this birthday surprise, I knew Mary was acting weird today, she even given me more work to do so I won't leave at 5pm.  Sitting at the bar with my closest friends, the club was packed already.

"You didn't need to buy me anything" I said to Mary.

"Just open it" she replied. I sighed ripping the wrapping paper open, I should of known Mary would give me this type of present. I glared at Brandon as he laughed, tears rolling down his cheek staring at my present. They all knew what Mary bought me, I open the box revealing a big thick rainbow dildo, blushing I held the dildo and even the bartender couldn't keep her eyes off the sex toy.

"My goodness Mary, why did you buy this" I said. I notice people glance at my present, I shouldn't of opened it in public, man I am so embarrassed. Quickly I put the dildo back inside the box, the damage is done and now I can't stop blushing.

"That old pink dildo needs to go Jax, this one is more thicker and taller so I am sure you can make use of it" Mary replied then winked at me. Angel laughed then drank her beer, I am happy Angel didn't buy me a sex toy but inside a food coupon, I do love junk food. It was Brandon's turn, I squealed in excitement as he bought me a box set of Sea breeze series by Abbi Glines.

"My Jaxy is getting old" said Angel as she fake cried.

"I'm 23" I said

"So Jax, how was that blind date" asked Brandon. I didn't want to think about it, the date was just an epic fail.

"Horrible" I said.

"Details Jax" he replied. I knew telling them about the horrible blind date will a story to remember, I told them he arrive two hours late and then after dinner his car ran out of petrol making me help push his car to the petrol station. Not only I had to pay for dinner I also have to pay for petrol which he put $60 worth of petrol.

"He's an asshole, why would you recommend him to Jax?" asked Angel.

"He looked sexy" was her only response.