Irish

My phone rang, Readyfuels by Anberlin blaring noisily. I picked it up off my desk and glanced at the screen.

The touchscreen read “Buddy!” and had two icon underneath, one red, the other green. I tapped the green one and put the phone to my ear.

“Hello buddy!” I said.

There was a pause on the other end of line where all I heard was some rushed breathing.

“Hi,” TheMiddleChild said finally, having to take a deep breath just after she spoke.

“You sound weird. What are you doing?” I glanced at the clock. The clock read just past four in the afternoon. TMC had been in her Freshman Seminar class while I was relaxing in my room. If she was calling me now, she was just out of class.

“Well…” she started, her voice high pitched and a little distraught.

“I’m really-” she paused to gasp for breath. Judging by her voice and breathlessness, I expected her to say something like “I’m really scared” or “I’m really in need of help” or “I’m really tired from just running a marathon”, but what actually came out was,

“-happy.”

I chuckled. “What? Happy? Why are you happy?”

“Well…” I should have guessed what came out next. “There was this boy…”

I burst out laughing. “A boy?! That’s what this is?!”

“Hush! There was this boy in my freshman seminar tour…”

“Uh-huh,” I said, laughing.

“Well…he was Irish!” she exclaimed, her voice high pitched.

I laughed again, loudly and for a long time. “Oh! Now it all makes sense!”

“I know!” she squeaked, gasping for breath. “He was blond and he all the pointy little Irish features and he wasn’t especially tall, well, I mean, taller than me, but not tall and he had his little Irish accent and he plays football! As in, soccer! He was like a tiny little Merry from Lord of the Rings!”

I was laughing and gasping for breath myself. “Dude! You’re insane!”

“Shut up!” she said, giggling. “I can still see him walking down the sidewalk and I’m pretty sure these people in front of me can hear every word I’m saying and I don’t even care!”

“Okay,” I said taking a breath. “This has to stop. I’m hanging up now.”

“Okay!” she said, heaving once more for breath.

“Goodbye,” I said with finality.

 “Bye!” she said, with a final giggle.

----------------

TMC wants it to be known that she is now over the Irish guy. Now she likes a baseball playing English major. I think she is insane.

We know we're crazy.

 Don't take this too seriously. We don't.

-FlyOn