Candy Cane

The mall was completely decked out in holiday decorations. Bright light were strung from the ceiling in brilliant displays of white, red, and green. Shiny garland streamers hung around every doorway, and giant scarlet velvet bows with gold trim had been tied around the support beams.

There was a festive area that was basically just an explosion of fake snow and white glitter. A giant Christmas tree marked the backdrop and a white fence kept overeager toddlers from causing a disaster. Little animatronic teddy bears, nutcrackers, and creepy looking dolsl grinned in their stiff lifelessness while a train buzzed around a tiny track and made fake choo choo noises. And in the middle of it all, on a giant golden chair wearing a fake white beard and a cheesy looking costume that had been worn by who knows how many people before, sat Santa Clause. A cameraman, who doubled as Santa’s elvish help, stood waiting for some gullible tourist to come and pay money to take a picture. There was no line at all.

Maverick and I were roaming around waiting for our mom to stop shopping in Beall’s. Maverick was looking for a GameStop. I had told him there wasn’t one in this store, but he’s not one for keen listening.

We had just passed by the Santa Clause and his cameraman and I had got distracted by something down the hall. I don’t even remember what.

I turned my head. I lost him in my peripheral. I turned back and there he was.

Maverick had waltzed up to Santa, took the candy cane that he was being offered, Santa said “Merry Christmas”, and he walked back to me.

And that was that. He grinned at me when he saw me giving him a funny look and started unwrapping his candy cane.

-----------------

I'm expecting this to be one of many goofy accounts featuring my 11-year-old dork of a brother.

-sigh- We'll get into it later.

-FO97