Chapter 10

Bailey's P.O.V

~

The other wolves look uncertainly towards each other as Steven claws his way out of the stream, his tail tucked between his legs. He risks a quick glare at me, his pelt clinging to his thin frame, before quietly stalking over to a buried den entrance and retreating inside. I hang my head and sigh loudly before looking up towards the other wolves. The males stand protectively over their mates, heads low, as the females lay on the ground, panting, their swollen bellies betraying their pregnancy. They all watch me warily as I flop onto the ground, the leaves crackling underneath my paws. I stare into the dusk sky, watching the slowly awakening stars twinkle with feigned interest. My ears twitch as I hear the mates retreat into their dens silently, no doubt curling together to protect their unborn pups from the cold night.

My heart aches horribly as I stare into the darkened sky. Yellowstone's nights were clear and full of countless stars, whereas the lights from the zoo and the city dull and hide them here. I miss the trees... I miss the crisp snow and the sounds of the owls at night. I miss the warmth of my den. Most of all, I miss Chris; so much so that I feel like I'm barely clinging onto the earth, and at any moment I could be flung off it and my life would end in that instant. Tears begin to fill my eyes as I remember his soft presence, and, mournfully, I bring my head back and howl into the night.

.     .     .

The morning just begins to brush the horizon as I hear commotion in the enclosure. I poke my head out of my heated den and blearily watch as slabs of beef are flung from a zookeeper's cart towards each buried den. One lands just in front of my face, and, feeling especially starved, I drag it inside. My mouth waters as I quickly gobble it down, watching the den entrance. Suddenly, someone pokes their head inside,

"Enjoying your breakfast, sweetheart?" Steven grins maliciously, eyeing me. I bare my teeth and bark loudly at him, and he jumps a bit.

"You have beef in your teeth." He snarls before quickly retreating back outside. Flicking my tail in triumph, I follow him. Patrons have begun milling around the zoo in small numbers. I watch a little girl drag her mother towards the railing of our enclosure, shouting in excitement. The other wolves pause to watch her for a second, before retreating back out of sight into their dens. She begins to cry as her mother attempts to console her, telling her "they can try again later". I glance around; more and more people have already arrived, and, soon, the girl wouldn't be able to see us through all the people. Before she can turn to leave, I tilt my head and run up to the edge of the enclosure. The little girl gasps and presses herself into the fence, sadly eyeing the large pit that separates me from her. I tilt my head again and playfully bow. She squeals and begins running along the fence line as I bark and follow her happily. After a few minutes we both tire each other out, and, as her mom picks her up to go to another exhibit, I howl for her. Her eyes fill with wonder and she waves happily as her mother carries her away. Panting, I fall to the ground, glancing around at the large crowd that gathered as the girl and I played. My ears perk up as I watch one young man, who carefully watches me in kind. I stand quickly when his eyes change from bright blue to a deep gold and back in a split second. He grins and walks off briskly.