part seven

Down by his side, Jake waved for Cal to stay out of sight around the corner. Better yet, run back to the weapons lab and barricade himself in.

"Oh he's around somewhere." Jake walked across the landing and draped an arm around the shorter guy's shoulders as though they were the best of friends. The two guys with Gregor exchanged wary glances.

"Hmm." Gregor puckered his lips. "Ya know I'd really like to see him, make sure his pretty little face didn't sustain any permanent damage. I feel really bad about what went down."

Jake patted Gregor's chest. "I'll be sure to pass on your apology when I see him."

"You do that." Gregor smiled. Tiny crinkles at the corners of his eyes stood out lighter in his sun-weathered skin. "Come to think of it, maybe you can pass on something else to him as well."

Gregor's friends grabbed Jake from each side, but he stomped down on the instep of one of their feet. Tweedle-dee fell, but Tweedle-dum shoved Jake into the wall. He'd never last several rounds against the superior strength of one of the Anointed, never mind three, but his dad had taught him how to fight fast and dirty. His bent knuckle struck the tender hollow of the Tweedle-dum's chin, wrenching his head back at the same time Gregor punched Jake in the stomach, folding him over with an "oomph". Squeezing his eyes shut, Jake let the Anointed hit him again, stalling. He just needed to give Cal time to get out of Dodge. Except...

"Let go of my brother."

Every head snapped up. Jake's heart sank to his toes. Cal's expression was stone cold fury.

Gregor kept a fist curled around Jake's shirt. "Well hey, shrimp, we were just talking about you."

Cal didn't say a word. He walked over, nudging himself partway between Jake and Gregor. Jake grinned at the way the darker haired Anointed had to tip his face upward. Kid had grown in the last couple of months. Gregor's hand dropped away.

"Come on." Cal steered Jake between the three Anointeds. "We're done here."

"We haven't gotten started," Gregor snarled, grabbing for the back of Cal's collar.

Cal spun so fast, Jake swore he felt the air move. Cal slammed Gregor back into the stairwell railing, fists knotted into the stockier teen's collar. "You really want to go at me?" He leaned closer in, his voice steely quiet. "Don't forget, I know what really happened."

Jake's eyes widened.

All the color leeched out of Gregor, but he quickly recovered. "Think anyone will believe a vengeful little half-blood?"

"My mom will."

Nostrils flaring, Gregor shoved Cal off him hard enough that the younger teen flew back into Jake.

All three Anointeds lunged at the brothers, going down into a heap of flying fists and gouging fingers. Jake rolled to his knees, trying to throw them off.

"Enough." The tired voice rang out with all the power of an echo traveling through a canyon.

Everyone stilled. Jake blinked up at the slender woman at the top of the stairs, Kiene and Lisi behind her. This night kept getting better and better.