part twenty-nine

Rolling the X-ray machine's cart next to Cal, Henry quickly covered. "Wolf got at him."

"After he fell." The vet straightened to his full height. "See those diplomas decorating my wall? Those kinda state that I've been at this long enough to know a wolf bite when I see it. This was made by one of those hairless critters been after our livestock."

"You know about those?" Jake's brows collided over perplexed green eyes. "They haven't just taken cattle and sheep. They've gone after people. Why didn't you warn anybody?"

"Who says I didn't? I went to the town council, got laughed out on my ass for my trouble. Even killed one of the things, but the little beast wouldn't go down with rifle-shot alone, took burning it and when I dragged its corpse into town for proof, wasn't enough left and folks believe what they want to believe. I became the laughing stock of the county and you see what that did to my business." He ran an agitated hand through his hair, making the tufts stand up more. "Dammit, if you tangled with one of these things, you've brought them right back to my place."

"We didn't bring any here."

Doc was racing through the kitchen to lock the back door. "Once they have your scent, they'll stick to you like glue."

"Relax." Henry watched the guy hurry to shut the front door. "We got them all."

The vet slid to a stop. "There is no getting them all. I don't know where they came from or how long they've been here, but beginning of last month there was an explosion of the beasts. Hundreds by my estimation and what I've seen done to all the farms' stock around here."

"I'm telling you we got them."

The guy's gaze swept over the Gillants' dirty appearances. All three of them were coated in ash. "Want to explain to me how three guys managed that?"

"Tracked them to their cave. Set explosives. Done deal." Jake folded his arms across his chest. "It's what we do."

Doc seemed to mull that over. "If that's true, then this county owes you some immense gratitude. You're sure you got them all?"

"Absolutely," Jake said.

"Relatively." Henry's answer was a little more practical. "Planning on staying a few days to be sure."

The vet nodded, walked back over to Cal who had his fingers pressed tight to his forehead, pushing the skin above his nose into wrinkles. Aw, Cal. It hurt to see his youngest in this level of pain. Cal's chest was rising and falling in quick staccato pants. Henry slipped his palm over Cal's fingers.

"Can you give him anything?" Jake asked, voice quiet.

"That's what I'm trying to determine." The doctor glanced at Jake and his features softened. "Look. We'll take the X-rays, get a look at what we're dealing with. Then I'll know what's safe." He pushed the cord into the outlet and the machine started purring while the doctor punched several buttons and positioned the long arm over Cal's face. "Name's Ellis Walker. Most folks call me Doc Wal."

Henry nodded. "Henry Gillant. My sons, Jake and Cal."

"Hey," Jake mumbled, gaze fixed on the small computer screen built into the X-ray machine that was showing black and white images. Instant images. Nice.

"Cal," Doc Wal's tone was the gentlest Henry had heard him. "I'm going to just turn your head, yeah, that's good. Now hold it right here while I take a look. I know it hurts, but you're doing good."

Henry stared at the screen for another twenty minutes while the vet repositioned Cal to make sure he got every angle. Henry couldn't make heads or tails out of what he was looking at, just waited silently, tension rising, so the doc could do his job. When he swung the camera's arm out of the way, both he and Jake leaned forward, practically in the man's face.