Prolouge

Just a pre-warning for you guys! This story does contain some violence. I just wanted to want you. And some anxiety and panic attacks. Maybe some sexual content. We'll just have to see.

I love every single one of y'all!! Th back you so much for reading this!!!

-Queen Grace

I wrap my scarf tight around my neck as I finish zipping up my coat.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I wave to Arther as he packs up for the day. "Night Mitch." He nods to me as I head out.

The wind whips at my skin as I push through the door from the lobby into February air, the sky pitch black and quiet in the night. It was shaping up to be the coldest winter week yet.

I tug the collar of my jacket higher before walking across the street into the parking garage, not bothering to use the crosswalk since everyone was already home and asleep by this time.

I had a huge project due at the end of the week, and the last few nights had me working way past closing time. My heels echo through the nearly empty garage as I make my way to my car, craving the comfort of my warm bed and worn-in pajamas.

I turn a corner and my car appears in my line of sight. My shoulders sag as I sigh–that much closer to getting home.

I reach for my keys, ready to unlock the door when I hear it.

A cry.

My body stops and a chill colder than the wind bellowing through the street runs through me as I turn my head towards the sound.

I can feel in the pit of my stomach that something isn't right and I reach for my cellphone in my pocket.

"Please, don't." A man's voice cries out, echoing through the empty concrete walls.

I quickly slide my screen open and dial 9-1-1.

"No more fuck ups." A deep voice rings out.

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?" A calm female asks.

"Hi, I'm in the parking garage at 65th and Lincoln, across the street from the Bailey Business Center." My voice rushes out, my fingertips tingling.

"Give me another chance!" The first man pleads again.

"Something is happening." My heart starts to race and I unlock my car and hop inside.

"What is happening, sir?" The woman asks, completely unfazed by the fear in my voice.

"It sounds like some sort of fight. I can't see them, but I can hear two men. One of them sounds hurt." I reach to put the key in the ignition, but my hands are shaking too much.

"Okay, sir. We will dispatch a squad car now to check it out. May I ask your name?"

"Yes, my name is–"

A gun shot rings out and I jump, a scream escaping my lips as my cellphone falls to the floor.

"Sir? Sir?" I can hear the operator calling out for my, but I'm frozen, hands hanging in the air as if someone had shot at me.

"Sir!" The operator's voice breaks me out of my shock.

I move to reach down to pick up the phone when a movement catches my eye.

In front of me is a man, in a dark leather coat and jeans, with work boots that don't match. My eyes find his face, his forehead covered with dark, messy hair, a silver scar over his eye, thin lips set in a straight line and a nose that looks like it's been broken more then once.

His eyes find mine and I feel my heart stop.

Without a change in expression he raises his gun and aims it at me. Before he can fire I duck, mere seconds before I hear the windshield crack against the impact of the bullet. Another shot rings out, drowning out my screams as my hands protect my head from the shards of glass falling around me.

Before he can fire again, police sirens echo through the garage, growing louder and louder until I hear tires screech against the pavements as red and blue lights shine through my shattered windshield.

Hesitantly, I straighten up, my hands still wrapped around my head and trembling. I see two police cars blocking me from the man who had fired at me.

A young cop jumps from her car, her gun drawn as the other three head in the direction the man had appeared from.

"Sir, are you hurt?" She asks through the window before pulling my door open. I don't respond, just stare through the missing windshield at the glaring police lights.

"Sir." I jump as her hand lands on my shoulder, my hands reaching up as if to somehow protect me.

"Are you okay?" She asks, slowly and making a point to pronounce each word.

"Ugh, I..." The words stick to my throat as my hands quiver. "I think I'm okay." Though I honestly have no idea.

"We've got a body over here!" I hear a woman yell and tears prickle my eyes.

"Oh my god." I sob, my hands falling onto the steering wheel, not noticing the tiny cuts littering the backs of my hands from the shattered glass.

"Don't worry sir." The young cop squeezes your shoulder. "Everything will be okay."

I nod, not believing a word she says.