Chapter 10

"JC! If you don't stop pacing, I'm going to nail your foot to the floor!" Alex said in a low voice. "Then you'll only be able to walk in circles." She teased.

"Sorry, I can't help it. I haven't seen her since before, well, you know."

"What's to worry about?" Justin asked. "She knows who you are and she hasn't run away screaming yet."

"That's because she hasn't met you yet, Justin." Alex kissed him on the cheek. Justin rolled his eyes.

"Oh hardy fucking har. You're killing me Lex." Justin said sarcastically.

"JC!" Alex said a little louder. "Circles, I tell ya. Circles!"

"Sorry." He said and took a seat next to Justin. He started to fidget with the buttons on his jacket.

"I bet a big, stiff drink would do you good!" Alex smiled.

Justin leaned into her and whispered. "I bet a big, stiff..."

"Oh!" JC jumped up from his seat and pointed to the escalator. "There she is. There she is. I gotta go." He ran to the bottom of the escalators and waved. Carey, still weary from the flight, immediately brightened, smiled and waved back.

"He's as giddy as a school girl." Justin smirked.

"Oh, she's a cutie." Alex, who was watching from afar, said to Justin. "But she looks young."

"What are you talking about? She doesn't look any younger than me!" Justin bantered.

"My point exactly. JC is –"

"The same age as you." Justin said pointedly to Alex.

"Ouch! I'll just shut up now." Alex giggled.

Carey spotted Josh waving at the bottom of the escalator and smiled. After working a few double shifts in the previous week, Sarah had agreed to give her not only the weekend off but five whole days. JC had been ecstatic when he learned she would be with him for almost a week. When he first asked her to come see him, her first reaction had been to say no. She didn't want to be in the way during the Jive Records celebration and had pretty much thought of every reason why JC wouldn't want her there. Truth be known, she wanted to see him more then anything but she needed to be sure he wanted to see her. She got her answer when JC threatened to fly to West Virginia himself and kidnap her in order to bring her with him. That was enough convincing for her. JC called in another favor of Alex so she would make travel arrangements for Carey.

For four days before her flight, Carey had butterflies in her stomach. Seeing Josh at the bottom of the escalator only made them flutter more furiously. She got to the bottom of the escalator and took the hand that Josh held out for her.

"Hi." She said quietly.

"Hi." He replied softly. They stood in the airport, gazes locked, for a moment frozen in time.

Alex and Justin were still watching from their place on the benches. "Kiss her you idiot." Alex muttered under her breath.

Carey stepped closer to Josh, dropped her duffel on the floor and rested her head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and bent his head in the crook of her neck. He rocked her back and forth. Opening his eyes he saw Alex and Justin, over on the benches, waving at him and smiling like idiots. Alex grabbed Justin by the hair and gave him a big, loud smooch on the cheek. JC fought the urge to laugh as Justin frowned, rubbed his cheek and punched Alex on the shoulder. Alex put her hands on her hips and glared at JC expectantly, waiting for him to take the hint and kiss Carey. JC stuck his tongue out at them and brought his attention back to Carey. After a Guinness world record length hug, Carey pulled back a bit and looked at Josh. She gingerly traced a tear down his cheek to his throat with her fingertip, where she softly kissed it away. JC cleared his throat to speak.