Chapter 2

"Good night Charleston!" Justin yelled out to the crowd before all five members of N'sync ran off the stage.

"Good job guys! Lots of energy out there tonight!" Johnny high fived them on there way by. "Ten minutes till the meet and greet."

JC grabbed a bottle of water from a nearby table and took a long drink. "Let's cut the meet and greet short tonight guys. I really want to get back to the hotel soon."

"Are you not feeling well Jace?" Lance asked, concerned.

"No, I'm fine, just tired. So we'll get out of here in an hour?"

"You bet." Joey agreed and followed Lance and Justin in to the hallway.

"Maybe you wouldn't be so tired if you hadn't have been out till all hours of the night." Chris said quietly to JC so Johnny wouldn't hear.

"Yeah, you're probably right Chris. I owe ya. Now let's go meet the screaming masses."

They were out of the stadium in record time. Johnny, thinking they were just tired, let them beg off from the meet and greet earlier than usual. JC was quiet on the ride back to the hotel. Joey and Chris made plans to go out to a dance club. Shae, the group's hair and make up stylist, had made plans to meet them there later. Jake said he would accompany them. Lance and Justin had agreed to watch a movie back at the hotel.

"JC, feel like watching a movie with us?" Justin interrupted JC's trance.

"Naw, I'm gonna pack it in and call it a night. Thanks anyway."

"Sure thing. If you change your mind, we'll be in Alex's room." Alex, who was the group's wardrobe co-ordinator, had been romantically involved with Justin for some time now. She had also become a very good friend to JC in the past months that she had been with them.

JC let Chris have the shower first. He was anxious for him to get out of the room and be on his way clubbing with Joey. As soon as Chris left the room JC had a quick shower and got dressed. He checked the hallway for Allistar. There he was, standing at his regular post outside their doorways. JC went back into the room to phone Alex's room.

"Yeah?" Lance answered.

"Hey Lance it's me. Listen, I need you to get Allistar out of the hallway for thirty seconds."

"What are you doing JC?"

"Shh, you don't have to let Justin know. Just ask Allistar to get you a drink from the soda machine or something."

Lance was silent for a moment.

"Please." JC added.

"Okay, but remember this."

"Thanks Lance, I knew I could count on you. I owe you one." How many times have I said that today? He hung up the phone. Pulling his ball cap down over his eyes, he opened his door a sliver. He heard Lance ask Allistar to come into Justin's room 'for a sec'. Spotting his chance, he closed the door behind him and hurried down the corridor to the stairwell. Running down 6 flights of stairs, he opened the exit door and hurried out into the night.

(*******************)

Carey drained the last bit of coffee from the bottom of her cup and sighed. One last glance out the window to check if there was a tall dark figure coming and she got up. Who are you kidding? He's not really coming back. He's just some guy who crossed your path momentarily and now he's gone. Might as well clean up and go home. She had been busy that day. Three party platters and an office lunch delivery had made her day go by faster and had kept her mind off of the night before. It took her about an hour to clean up and get out of the deli. She turned the open sign around and slipped out the door to lock it.