Chapter 2

Prince's POV

"What's that?" I asked as I walked back into my Mom and Dad's room. He was sitting in the bed holding a worn out book in his hand.

"Its one of your mother's old journal." he said as he played with the edges of the book.

I smiled and sat next to him. "May I see it?"

He placed ur in my hand. I opened the front page and in fancy cursive letters it said:

Property of: Leah Haughton

Below that it said:

1966, Property of: Aaliyah Dana Haughton

I looked up at my dad, there was a tear that had escaped from his eye." Why does it have both their names in it?"

He took a deep breath and exhaled it slowly." After her mother died, she had full procession of all her things. Liyah, loved that journal, she always said it was like she was carrying around of piece of her mother with her."

"Didn't she write in others to?"

He only nodded.

I turned to the next page carefully and it was an entry by her mother, talking about all the first day Mom was born and how she came up with her name and how she looked. I flipped through others and most of the dates where spaced out, not many of them were close together. There was a piece of fabric stuck a little farther than the other diary entry. I closed the book and opened it to that part. The handwriting went from cursive to the printing of an eight year old child, it was dated June 24, 1966. "Here's her first entry she ever wrote." I said softly.

Dad turned his head and looked down at it. He took the book from my hand.

" June 24, 1966,

I was going through Mommy's things and found this diary. I decided to take on after her and continue writing in here. She hated wasting things. So, today is the day. The aniversary of her death, I miss her a lot but I can only remember what she used to tell me when I was little. She will always be in my heart.

-Aaliyah"

" She misspelled anniversary." I pointed out.

"She was eight." he said.

I looked through the others only skimming through them."I think this will be great to start the book off, you know with her early life. That way the readers will understand why mom was the way she was as an adult."

"Why is it so important that the first book you ever write is about your mother?"

"Because, I want to know how her life was, what made her the strong woman that she was when I came to know her."

He glanced at the book them up at me with a raised eyebrow." That's a good point."

I smiled at him."So can you use it?"

"If we use one, we may as well us all of them." He said as he pulled three more out of her night stand drawer.

This had just became easy to me. I took out my lap top and opened the first entry of the journal which was by her mother of course. I began typing the main things down: The time of birth Mom was born, her weight, eye colors, etc. Her mother was wrote every little detail of her life from the first time she held her bottle on her own to her first steps to her singing her favorite song. But I found something interesting about Grandma Leah, most of the time she talked about a drug addiction and how she struggled to become sober after mom was born. She also wrote about Uncle Keith, Mom told me the story of him and how she found out about him but I never knew that his father took him away from her. That was the cause of the drug addiction.