beside you now ❅ ziam

Warnings
none

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Was it possible for a heart to cease to metaphorically beat? Because Zayn was sure his came to a screeching halt and seemed to be frozen with time due to Liam's words.

And he found himself wishing it stopped beating altogether as well.

"You're leaving me?" Zayn felt like his lungs were collapsing, his words an agonized, breathless whisper.

"I'm sorry Zayn." Zayn looked hard and long into Liam's eyes, looking for any ounce of remorse, but to his utmost disappointment, he found none.

"Are you though?" Zayn chuckled acrimoniously. Liam shrugged his shoulders, eyes roaming their, his, house one last time. That thought itself had Zayn wanting to curl up in a ball and cry his eyes out.

"I can't really stop myself from falling out of love with you and falling for someone else." Liam stated coolly, and Zayn thought that what Liam was saying was the most horrible form of punishment: Liam loving someone else other than him.

"But-" Zayn was cut short by a loud honk sounding from outside the house. His eyes widened in anguish as Liam's eyes sparkled with excitement.

"That's Dylan. I have to leave now Zayn. I'll see you around yeah? When I come to pick up my stuff?" Liam waved distractedly at him and quickly hurried outside the house.

And because Zayn's mind was in a whirlwind of destruction, he couldn't really decipher that, no, he really should not look out that window.

He saw Liam's lips wrapped around that guy's lips in that way he thought was eternally reserved for him; that way that always left him breathless and more so infatuated by everything that is Liam. He no longer had that, and that thought hit him harder than anything.

Zayn sank to his knees.

• • •

Zayn did not know how long he has been sitting in the same position, but it must have been a long time, given the ache he felt in his muscles from kneeling for too long, but he could not find it in himself to care- about anything really.

He did not even flinch when his front door burst open, and when arms wrapped around him and Harry's comforting voice filled his ears.

"I'm here baby. I'm here." Harry pulled Zayn into his lap and held him the way he knew Zayn loved, even Liam could not do it like his best friend does, and that minuscule detail gave Zayn some twisted sense of satisfaction.

"How did you know?" Zayn spoke in a monotone tone that had Harry pulling him into his grasp tighter.

"I- do you really want to know?" Zayn turned to face Harry at the question, and from the look on his face, Zayn should have said no.

"Yes." He muttered.

"I saw a picture of Liam and 'his new boo' kissing on Instagram, so I put two and two together, and now I'm here and I have your favorite movie and ice cream. I just don't want you to think about it for the longest time possible Zaynie; I promise I'll be here when you feel like it's time you cried." It did not even surprise Zayn that Harry knew that he had not shed a tear so far.