Chapter Fourteen

“You have a nice little establishment here, cuz.” Lucan surmised peering at Ronan from across the peanut shells distributed over the table they’d taken up.

          Ronan smirked, leaning further into his seat to better survey his cousin. “What the hell brings you to Asheville?”

          Lucan grinned a toothy grin as two women sauntered by, dressed in 6-inch stilettos and beauty-queen hair, “The attractions.”

          His grin widened, “Unlikely. The women here never satisfied your lecherous tastes.”

          Green eyes swiveled around with light humor, “What about you, Morrissey?” Lucan arched a brow with mild intrigue, “No woman yet?”

          “I could ask you the same thing.” He tossed back wryly.

          Lucan narrowed his eyes perceivably, “How long have you been running the pack, and without a woman?”

          His dire straits were the last thing he wanted to discuss at that moment. He trusted Lucan, possibly more so than any other wolf he’s ever ran with, but he wasn’t ready to exchange views on his lack of mate, or ill-fitted feelings for a human woman.

          He wrapped an arm the length of his chair as he relaxed his weight, “Why don’t you tell me what you’re doing here?” he deflected, studying the wolf across from him.

          There wasn’t a pack around that didn’t know of the Kirov bloodline. They were the first of loup-garou to come about and perhaps the most powerful. Though he and Lucan had been raised in separate packs, there mothers had been sisters. The same blood ran thick in his veins and just as he - Lucan was one of few capable of shifting into his beastly form without the moon’s prowess.

          “Last I heard you were in New York?” he asked, “Still riddled with vampires?”

          “More so than you think.” He replied, lacking some of that artless humor.

          Ronan frowned, sensing something deeply underway. “Why are you here?” he asked again.

          Lucan inhaled a deep breath, his expression darkened to one of earnestness, all traces of his careless gaiety gone. “I need your help.” He took a swig of his beer that had gone flat and pushed it aside.

          “With what?”

          Pale eyes fixed gravely on him, “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

          Ronan tensed, “Why don’t you tell me then?”      

          His cousin swept a quick glance full-circle, ensuring there solitude before muttering low enough for Ronan’s ears alone, “I’ve encountered something we long thought inconceivable.”

          His interest undeniably snared, Ronan leaned closer, “What are you talking about?”

          “There is a scientist in Cove Neck, he’s discovered us.”
          Ronan stiffened, “A scientist?”

          Lucan nodded, “And not just us but vampires. He’s been passing through the centuries living on vampire blood, storing it away for his experiments.”