Chapter Five

Any bit of fleeting confidence she may have encountered earlier that day evaporated all at once with a little red dress. She groaned as she stared disapprovingly at the image in the mirror. She could hear Julie humming in the dining room downstairs and knew it wouldn't be long until she was summoned for her debut.

          She had brushed her hair until her arm ached with it but the practically hopeless mane rebelled against any taming.

          The dress clung to her frame in a way that challenged her knowledge of clothing and the matter of it fitting appropriately.

          She could feel the apprehension building.

          She was far too pale for a deep, red dress.

          Too skinny, Kate. Danny's voice mocked from somewhere afar.

          Her subconscious snapped at her to get real and stop being uptight. Inhaling a steadying breath, which caused her ribs to ache in slight agony, she leveled a meaningful stare on the woman in the mirror. "You can do this, Kate, new beginning, new you."

          "Come on, you!" Julie exclaimed from the foot of the stairway.

          Squaring her shoulders, she stumbled rather awkwardly into the hall, having never worn heels before.

          Julie suppressed a grin.

          "Don't you dare laugh." Kate warned in slight humiliation.

          Julie straightened, a grin still playing on the corners of her mouth, "I wouldn't dare, besides, you look great!"

          Kate winced at the compliment, praying Julie hadn't noticed.

          Once she reached the bottom fully intact, Julie held out the crook of her arm, "Ready, mademoiselle?"

          For the first time since arriving at BlackMountain, Kate gave a heartfelt laugh.

          Julie smirked, "See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Come, the night awaits us."

          They drove about 30 miles east of BlackMountain and the closer they drew to their destination the antsier Julie became.

          Clearing her throat and clasping somewhat shaky hands in her lap, Kate asked with a hint of wariness, "Where are we headed?"

          "Club Red."

          Kate stiffened within her beige pleather seat, lasting bells pealing with alarm as her anxieties magnified tenfold, "Club?"

          Julie peered questionably at her, "Well yeah, where did you think we were going, silly?"

          Somewhat bothered she confessed a bit awkwardly, "A quiet little café?"
          Julie's white smile widened, "Dressed as we are?" she gave a little giddy laugh, "Oh no, we're headed to the hottest nightclub in the city."

          Kate closed her eyes, cringing inwardly at how presumably absurd it was on her part to have thought they'd sip on cappuccinos in flashy, little dresses.

          "I don't know." She groaned as the turning, forthcoming night appeared conceivably threatening to her tightly spun emotions, "A club isn't particularly my scene."

          "All the more reason to go and trust me, you're going to love it." Julie exclaimed with enough convincing that even Kate questioned her reluctance in it. On a more serious note, Julie added, "If you don't like it, we'll simply leave. Try and unwind a little, new town, new you?"