Chapter Eleven

Ronan suppressed a snarl at Nico's purposeful goading as he attempted to dissuade the others from the acumen as to why they had gathered.

          He noticed keenly that some were doubtful, their expressions reading clearly of uncertainty as to whether he could lead the pack by the Laws of Feral. He knew the laws above all else and would honor them even in blood, but he was beginning to suspect that others believed otherwise.

          Nico knew as to the reason they had assembled. He'd caught wind of certain tidings; suspicions were roused with hints of uprising and that of mutiny. Fealties were being swayed and loyalties tested. If there was an uprising, he knew some would follow in Nico's wake.

          He hadn't chosen a mate and he was nearly in the thralls of the Bonded Calling. Having not selected a female of his choosing proved most detrimental to his position as Alpha. This would bring about rounds of complexities that he certainly didn't need on top of a potential uprising led by one blood-thirsty wolf.

          Every wolf belonging to that of loup-garou knew the dangers of ignoring the Bonded Calling. The demand for a mate was near intolerable and severely inevitable. If ignored, you were certain to face flagrant madness which brought about acts of violence and an insatiable yearning to kill. Rogue wolves were deemed a threat but here of late they were learning tactics in managing their ferocity, becoming more and more difficult to detect.      To outright accuse another wolf of unwarranted acts of being rogue proved virtually fatal to the accuser. He would need substantial evidence in order to ban the wolf or worse – kill him or her. It was an act deemed most crucial but only when necessary with the facts lined in place, if not, the accuser would become the accused and his motives questioned.

          He had his suspicions and believed Nico planned an uprising. He knew the wolf to be sly and articulate in his ways. He'd manage to lure Von and Kura into his web of deceit, beguiling them with feigned promises that appealed to their every whim but would later prove to be falsehood.

          Nico had joined his father's pack years back to their youth. Having claimed at the time to have been abandoned by his own, his father took pity on the whelp and raised him alongside Ronan. He would soon learn the rivalry that unraveled between him and his opposed. Nico wanted to be Alpha.

          He had been born into the pack and rightfully was next in line for Alpha but he had to prove he was worthy of holding rank. He had been challenged over and again. Blood had been drawn and wolves had met a fatal but honored death.

          His father had been proud and when it came for him to take his last breath, he did so eagerly with his mother, who'd passed already, in mind.

          He had reigned well from his early adolescence unto his manhood. Nico had made every attempt to thwart his leadership and was currently his most imminent threat aside from other matters that came with being head wolf.

          He swept Nico with a meaningful cold stare – Rest assured, I am giving it much thought.

          But have yet to choose a mate? Nico prodded, Are you not well into the stages of the Bonded Call?

          He restrained from showing any signs of anger but rather appeared calm. He knew full well Nico's attempt in provoking him, to get a rise out of him.

          Ronan raised his head, meeting Nico's challenging stare head on. I am fully aware of my calling to choose a mate. I think you of all wolves should not appoint judgment. His indication was clear and Nico took the insult with narrowing slits of simmering anger.