Commoners.

Ah yes, almost any and every ohshc Oc/insert fanfic has them as the main character.

While at first I really didn't mind this, as time went on and I read more & more fanfics with this being overused, I began to feel bored with that kind of story. Not like you can escape it though, 94% ohshc fanfics have the main character as a commoner.

Okay she's a commoner who got a scholarship. Wow, totally not like Haruhi mmmm.

Well, first I'd like to point out that an Oc can't have an academic scholarship unless she/he is a third year. Haruhi needs to keep her grades on top; if your Oc has a scholarship for academics and gets a score higher that Haruhi, she will be kicked out of the school. This is shown in the manga when Haruhi gets a somewhat lower grade on her midterms then she usually does. Naturally, the host club want her to keep her scholarship in which they get her a tutor, so on & so forth.

The Oc can't have an academic scholarship as a second, because I think(?) Tamaki has the highest grade, or maybe it's Kyoya, and then the other who doesn't have the highest grade obviously is second.

Which only leaves the third year spot open. Unless your Oc is a first year while Haruhi & the twins are second years, which is acceptable.

Other cliché things with commoner Oc's, and there are so many, is that:

1. They end up getting lost, somehow finding music room three, then breaking something expensive and having to join the host club.

2. Have a music scholarship, end up being a singer for the Host Club.

3. Always have the same struggles as Haruhi when it comes to dressing up as a boy.

4. End up getting attacked by one of the Host guest (I'll bring this topic up again in a later rant).

And the list goes on. The Oc's even take Haruhi's place most of the time. Like, excuse me, where's my waifu Haruhi Fujioka.

I'm not saying some of these things are bad for a Ouran fanfic, I just think the ideas is just too overused to get hyped over. Most of the stories follow the anime anyway, nothing really changes. There are a few stories that can pull it off well, but not as many as I'd like.