Part 4

The next days passed without much happening, to our surprise Nathan never attempted to track us down, which seemed suspicious but we weren’t worried. When I asked Groden why he would throw away his future while accompanying me, he said because it would protect me from lonesomeness and I would do the same for him. Such a simple selfless answer made me try my hardest to make this the best adventure ever for him.

             On the fifth day of traveling, we saw the blue and green planet, surrounded by white swirls and landed on home. The first people on the abandoned planet in twenty years, I felt like the explorers I read about. We traveled until we found a small cave of trees, neighboring a giant waterfall as big as the N.L. We went on walks near and far from our home; we saw animals and looked at plants that were new to us. We felt like nothing could stop us. I felt fearless and strong. I felt capable and new.

Until the disease hit. Groden seemed fine at first, only a fever that I cared for while he was in strict bed rest. Looking back, they were the closest weeks we had spent together; we talked whenever he was able to.

One day, while he was sleeping I decided to go for a walk in the all green world, and maybe pick up some new and exciting food, maybe even the apple he had been dreaming about on the N.L. The day before I had presented him with a non-freeze dried or frozen strawberry and his face lit up. While on the walk I thought back to the mother aboard the N.L and her dying infant son. I never took illness into the equation out our new life on earth, but I was determined to sweep it out.

It took me about an hour of no sucess before I decided to go back to our makeshift home. I went to bed that night pondering of the best direction to look for the treasure fruits in the world filled with plants..

“Aria,” Groden asked me the next day after a coughing fit that led to blood coming out of his mouth. “When I die, can you plant me near the waterfall? I’d like that.”

It took me a while to realize I was thinking the same thing. I was pondering what we were going to do in numerous days, which led to the tug of war thought in my mind that debated over his recovery.

“Of course, but only if you die when I’m ready for you too. You came so we wouldn’t be alone remember?” I tried to point it in an upbeat way, but I wasn’t sure if it was positive. “You have to wait for me to find the perfect spot.”

“Well,” He was interrupted by another bloody coughing fit that racked his whole body. “It’d better be soon.”

Then he rolled over and went to sleep. That next day after caring for him the best I could I headed out, determined to find that apple tree. And I found it, nestled in a small bit of heavenly paradise cornered behind the waterfall. The view stole my breath, and I felt like I was trespassing when I picked the shining apple for my sickly friend.

On my short walk home, I thought of the gardens on the N.L. They seemed almost pitiful to what I was experiencing here. I felt a mixture of guilt and longing to somehow get message to them that earth wasn’t entirely bad. But they were just empty wishes, the only way they could come home is if they desired to, an action I doubt would ever cross their minds.

I went home with the treasure in hand and an amazing scene to explain to me loyal friend. He just lay there, nibbling at his apple and staring at the bellowing waterfall.

“Aria,” He said while handing he the core. “Plant these seeds in that paradise, plant it right over my grave.”

At the time I thought it was a string of words he used as a cushion in case anything happened. I truly thought we would be ‘normal’ again, exploring like we were born to. I never thought I would have to burry anyone on the N.L, especially my best friend.

The time came sooner then I thought, but I obeyed my friend and buried him right where he desired to be. The next week I headed off to find a new chapter in my life.

            Now I’m alone, making my mark with only the towering trees and an occasional creature as my witness. Now and then I think of what could have been if we had stayed in the fake safety of the sky, but then I wouldn’t have had adventure. Although adventure brings pain, which leads to sorrow, it eventually leads to a new life. A life the ship couldn’t supply.

Have you ever been in a situation where you are completely and utterly alone? Have you ever had everything you care about disappear right before your eyes? I have. But its not a dead end, there’s a detour hidden in the shadows on the side of the path that can help you move on to the next chapter of life.

~Fin~