Part Twenty One

A/N - Sorry at the delay. Hectic weekend! And a belated thank you to Kaisha for yet another amazing cover!!

Hope you enjoy!

Saturday in Rio was usually quieter in some ways than the week. But today, it was sunny, hotter than it had been, and there was a concert planned for the beach that evening. The clunking of barriers being erected on the seafront woke Lex early. And she lay in bed reliving her conversation with Peter the previous evening. It was so nice to talk to him, to share things. Though she wasn’t happy to hear about another woman in his life. That bit had been hard.

But friends confided, friends shared things, and friends talked until two am on the phone. THAT was what she’d wanted back in Stockholm, and Peter was right, if this was all she had of him, then it was better than never seeing him or talking to him again.

Smiling she dressed into her favourite denim shorts and a strappy vest and headed out into the sunshine. From behind her shades the City was beautiful, and she stopped to buy some breakfast, before eating as she strolled, pausing only to watch a group of shirtless men practicing their capoiera. Further along the beach a gang of young barefooted kids were playing football, the ball rolled to her and she kicked it back to them, then they followed her for a bit. The homeless children in this part of the world devastated her, she had no idea where they went at night, or who looked after them...and she hated to think any deeper on the issue.

The promenade was dotted with several kiosks selling food and drink right the way along the beach, so at the next one she passed, she bought a couple of fresh coconuts, watching as the tops were hacked off and straws inserted into the cavity, paying for them, she then handed them to the kids, who snatched them with a shout of “Obrigado”, they rushed off to devour the refreshing water and scoop out the young soft flesh greedily, before running off to play football once again. She couldn’t avoid them, but she also knew she couldn’t help every one of them either. This was her compromise.

The stage for the concert was set, and there were light and sound checks going on, the whole area was buzzing, and for Alexis is was nice to switch off and just wander aimlessly.

Later that afternoon she swam in the roof top pool, then relaxed on a lounger to read her kindle. Hours passed, and it wasn’t until the phone rang late that evening that she realised that THAT was what she’d been waiting for.

                “Hey!” Peter’s voice was such a welcome sound. She kicked back on the sofa and smiled,

                “Hey yourself! How did today go?”

Peter groaned, “I moved...whilst she was training. Haven’t really brought much, so it didn’t take long. I left a note saying I was hating the commute and I was offered something closer to campus. Is that really shit?”

Lex laughed, “it’s cowardly I suppose, but then it’s done. That’s the main thing. So where are you living now?”

                “Well!” He laughed, “funny you should ask that, but I’ve got a student room on campus! Literally a bed a wardrobe and a chair! I’ve regressed back to my teens!”

She laughed, “so you’ve left the lap of Geneva luxury to live like a student? I like your style Mr Marlow! Obviously you’re not  as materialistic as some!”

He groaned, “don’t know about that. I’ve got no TV; no music...fortunately my laptop and iPad work and the building has wifi! That’s the saving grace!”

Alexis almost felt sorry for him, “could be worse!”

Groaning he mumbled, “it almost was! Enough about me. What have you been up to?”