Chapter 13: Mine's Bigger Than Yours

Brandy exits the gates of the penitentiary past the guard station and pulls onto the main road. As the prison disappears from sight in her rear view, her stress slowly begins to dissipate. Her mind is still fully active though, having just learned the severity of the situation and that she has to keep quiet about it.

Brandy dials Ron's cell. He answers quickly, excitement in his voice.

"Page! Finally! We need to talk!"

"Yeah? Well, I got news for you too Travis!"

Ron thinks his news is bigger, "Yeah? Well, meet me at O'Malley's cause you're gonna need that drink after you hear what I have to say."

Brandy's definitely intrigued but she still thinks her news is bigger than Ron's.

"Alright, meet me there in half an hour...Oh, and Travis, you're gonna need two drinks after you hear my news." She quickly hangs up on him so he can't argue back.

O'Malley's Tavern is a small dive bar. It's a hole in the wall, but the prices can't be touched. Brandy prefers the quiet atmosphere it offers as opposed to larger, noisier bars. O'Malley's is the best kept secret in North Point. Not to mention it's the only bar in town where smoking hasn't been banned yet.

Brandy exhales a cloud of thick smoke across the pub table into Ron's breathing space.

'Cough, cough', "God damn, Page..." 'cough', "...don't blow that shit in my face!"

Brandy chuckles, "Sorry. So what's your big news?"

"No...You go ahead. I apparently have two drinks to worry about."

"Okay." Brandy slides the packet of papers across the table, "Take a look."

Ron picks it up, "What the hell's this?"

Brandy gulps down her bottled Heineken, "That's what Kelly Winston wanted to see me about. It's the list of inmates that were set free."

"Yeah, so."

"So the ones that are highlighted...were released... by mistake."

"Mistake?" Ron flips through the pages, "There's a hell of a lot of mistakes in here. You mean to tell me all these people got released and they shouldn't have...Damn! I might need a third drink."

"Maybe more, cause that's not all!"

"There's more? Shit Page, I don't know if my liver can handle anymore."

"The FBI is investigating the entire prison committee. They think foul play is involved."

"FBI? What kinda shit you into, Page." Ron slams the last of his first Gin and Tonic.

"Kelly Winston shit!"

"So what does she want from you anyway?"

"She wants me to fix the mistakes, but there's a catch."

"A catch? What catch? You know I don't like catches Page."

"The Chief can't find out,...about any of it."

"What? Why not?"

Brandy smirks, "The Warden and the Chief used to date."

"No shit?"

"No shit. She said he wouldn't let her forget a screw up like this, but I think there's more to it than what she's told me."

"Something definitely smells fishy."

Brandy waves the bartender, Jason Wilkes, over for another round of drinks. Serving the tables isn't a standard service that O'Malley's offers. Usually, you must approach the bar to order your drink. Jason doesn't mind it at two in the afternoon. The bar is quiet and he gladly goes the extra mile in hopes of a good tip. Brandy has been quite generous in the past and Jason remembers her well for it. Jason carries over the drinks, places the beer in front of Brandy, and another Gin and Tonic in front of Ron.