Chapter 18: The Invitation

Brandy sits in shock as she listens to Kelly Winston explain how Harvey Dunn was involved with the scheme to get certain prisoners released.

Brandy shakes her head in disbelief as if Kelly could see her through the phone, "I just can't believe it...the Chief...corrupt?"

Kelly knows how she feels, "Trust me, I felt the same way when I found out."

Brandy seems lost at the idea, "So, what happens now?"

"We have to wait for the FBI to complete their investigation and I need you to keep quiet about this. If anyone asks, tell them Harvey had to go out of the state for a family emergency and he'll be gone indefinitely."

"What about the list of inmates? Should I continue to track them down?"

"No! Hold off on that, the FBI has already taken full control of the prison and they don't like when other authority figures interfere."

Brandy lets a big gust of air out with her sigh, "Okay, keep me posted if you hear from the Chief."

"I will...but, I don't expect he'll be contacting me anytime soon. I'll talk to you later, Brandy."

"Okay, thanks Kelly."

'Inhale...exhale.' Brandy leans against the side of the building trying to fathom the idea that Harvey Dunn is running from the law. The very organization he once worked for has now issued a warrant for his arrest. The manhunt is on. Brandy puffs her cigarette faster than usual, hoping the stress she is feeling will fade away with each cloud of smoke she blows.

Ron arrives back at the station, returning from a long day on the road. He sees Brandy is smoking again and immediately knows something is wrong.

He approaches, "What happened? All those boxes of paperwork kickin your ass?" He chuckles.

"No, I'm almost finished with all three boxes."

"Three boxes? You said there were seventeen boxes."

"I did? Huh...I could have sworn I said three." She smiles.

Ron realizes what she did, "Page, that was dirty..." He soon lets it go, "...so, anyway, what's got you stressin?"

She shakes her head, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Shit Page, if you'd of told me I was gonna have a human kidney in my car and the mutilated body of Lynn Holbrook in yours, I wouldn't have believed that either...after these last few days, I'll believe just about anything."

Brandy flicks her cigarette butt away, "The Chief paid off the prison committee so they would release the wrong prisoners. The FBI caught on and now the Chief is on the run. They're searching for him right now."

Ron has a dumbfounded look on his face. "Say what?"

Brandy gives Ron a serious look, "You heard me."

"No way! The Chief? Wanted by the FBI...come on Page, seriously, quit pullin my dick..." He waits, expecting her to say something, but she remains mute. She folds her arms and stares stone faced at him. She wants him to realize just how serious she is.

Ron gets her point, "Damn! That's about the craziest shit I've ever heard."

Brandy breaks her silence, "I know! My jaw still hurts from when it hit the floor."

"So who told you?"

"Kelly Winston. She said the FBI investigated the entire prison committee and found that eight of them had recently received a nice chunk of money in their bank accounts. They traced the transfers back to an account in the Chief's name. According to the bank records, he gave them ten thousand each."