Austen

"Hey." I pick up my vibrating phone from the kitchen counter and answer, with a quick peak at the caller ID, and am greeted by Evan's voice.

"Hi." I reply.

"I think they're going to do it." A frown settles on my face, as I crouch down onto a cushion on the floor.

"Who?" I can hear a rustle in the background before Evan sighs.

"Henry." I roll my eyes at his unnecessary sarcasm. "Who do you think Hana!"

"I don't know!" Leaning against the cold wall, I look to my side and out the double doors.

"The government, the freaking government is actually going to do it."

"Are you talking about the waste?"

"Waste? You say it like it's some piece of biodegradable plastic. It's nuclear, Hana. Freaking nuclear."

"Okay, I get it, it's a big deal." I come quick to my own defence, at a topic I never cared to think much about.

"They're going to kill us."

"You're over exaggerating." I hold back a smile I hear Evan huff.

"Have you even been watching the news?"

"I don't have a TV, remember."

"Yeah well they're planning on dumping 'round Ceduna."

"Is that near Adelaide?"

"Three hours. But that doesn't even matter! They're trading lives for money!" I purse my lips as Evans words deeply settle within my mind.

"Wow."

"Yeah, no shit."

"So that's what you called for?"

"No. You finish mid November right?" He asks.

"Still remember Uni dates?" I smile to myself and can imagine the annoyed look on his face.

"Whatever.There's a protest march in January and we're going."

"Not a chance."

"Are you kidding? Where's your Adelaidian patriotism gone?"

"I'm not going to a protest Evan." I shake my head and stretch my legs.

"Your mum's going." Go figure.

"She'd never miss it."

"You're going. I'm not going to be a nuclear casualty. When I die. It's going to be Henry the eighth style."

"Of untreated diabetes or STD's from polygamy?"

"I'll tell you this Hana, dying of either of those is better than dying of cancer." Again, I roll my eyes and refrain from commenting. Astahgfirullah, is all I can think at this point. "You're going."

"Whatever."

~*~

Days pass by after my phone call with Evan and my walk with Noah. My mind occasionally goes back to Evan's concern about the nuclear waste dumping proposal, and frankly the more I think about it, the more concerned I become. I grew up in Adelaide, and haven't really thought about permanently living anywhere other than there, and it almost feels like the only option I ever had, is being taken away from me. I might go to the protest- maybe, I mean January is ages away.

I tidy my books on the book shelf and fold my prayer mat that I've made a habit of leaving on the floor, thobe and all. It's been a long day- the kind that let's you do things at your own pace, and even after you're done, it kindly offers you a few hours more. It feels strange, because I've never had much time to do nothing since moving, and now that I do, I deem it unnecessary.  I think it may be because I've almost reached the end of the year, and most of my assignments are completed and I've prepared for my upcoming tests and have started on exam revision- I've kept myself busy for the most part, and now I don't really have anything to keep me busy with.